Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm disgusted but I am laughing! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm disgusted but I am laughing!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
A Trans-Pacific Tunnel Hooray!

I think that we will have statehood for Puerto Rico and Canada before statehood for Australia, making Australia the 53rd state. [Razz]

By the way, what is this fear with Indonesia that I keep reading about in the Australian press? I remember seeing what looked like a radical conservative web site from Australia that warned of the dangers of an invasion from the brown Muslims from Indonesia and that Australia would become an Indonesian colony? Are these people dismissed as mentally ill in Australia or is there a real fear of such a scenario?

Yes, mentally ill. At least scare/hate mongerers. And of course, the ones with the more outrageous claims get the most press. There's a lesson in there somewhere! [Smile]

I agree Puerto Rico and Canadia ( [Wink] ) first!

And yes, add 6 states and 2 territories.

Infact - the likely hood of something like that ever happening - is quite remote. And for the record I would see a state succeeding and becoming it's own country before Australia becomes a part of the US!

And wouldn't it then be The United States of America and Australia?

USAA?

LOL United States of Alcoholics Anonymous! [Smile]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australia doesn't have nuclear weapons... and we only have one nuclear reactor which is only used for scientific purposes...

Oh and that indonesia thing - I think (as I mentioned) some stirrers like to promote the fact that the largest muslim nation on earth and the third most populous country on the planet lies about 800km? off the coast! If they decided to invade - they'd be welcomed by a slice of happy desert. A desert roughly the size of Europe.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like the kind of thing we get over here all the time. Basically a load of bollocks; I can't really see any country, especially one of the more developed ones giving up it's independance in order to be absorbed by the US. On the other hand my country is a member of the EU (shortly to be USE).

quote:
How can Australia become the fifty-first state of the US when it's already the sixth country of the UK?
England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales=4
+Australia=5

Unless you count Canada.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Certain requirements are needed to gain statehood...population being the major one Guam is lacking.

Except it should be pointed out that a few of the CURRENT states in the USA have fallen below the minimum requirement needed for statehood. So really the population thing should be thrown out.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the states themselves. Like, say, Utah, and every other state with a population less than two million. 8)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales=4
+Australia=5

"Unless you count Canada."

I do. GB, NI, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. If you have the Union Jack in your flag or you put Queen Elizabeth on your money, you're still in the British Empire. Which, I suppose, means Fiji and Tuvalu go in there, too. And an arguement could be made about Hawaii, I suppose.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, OK; can't complain about that!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

There are a bunch of other (little) places as well, I think. Hawaii would be nice... [Smile] Although they actually have their own king over there (and their own seccession movement, apparently.).

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Canadian territories became states, would we have to take Quebec too?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Hawaii would be nice... [Smile]

Indeed it would.

It would serve as an excellent base for conquering the Pacific.

I wonder if we could claim the ships in Pearl Harbor... [Smile]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

I think you mean Pearl Harbour... [Smile]
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraith I know that the European Economic Community (EEC), and now the European Union (EU), have been slowly working towards creating institutions and a common currency for a united European state, but do you tink it will really happen?

I get the impression from reading The Economist, the only European newspaper that I have access to, that there are politicians in the United Kingdom who continually place road blocks and barriers to prevent the UK from participating in European political integration. Do you think that citizens in the UK will accept political integration with the continent and a European Prime Minister and legislature, instead of a British one?

I always wanted to ask this because I fear that my perception may be distorted by reading a conservative publication.

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wozzle, I don't think that the "unique society" would tolerate becoming part of the United States. Look how much trouble the Quebecois are causing for Canada.

But seriosly, some questions to our Canadian friends, is the threat of Quebec succession real? Is there enough desire in the province to create a nation of Quebec? Or are the people with these feeling in the minority and the majority of the citizens of Quebec want to stay in Canada and consider themselves to be Canadians? Sorry for my ignorance, but I only hear pieces here and there of what is going on in Canadian politics.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the proponents of Quebeci (I am like a media pioneer!) independance don't seem to take it all that seriously.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, uh, the EU isn't exactly sitting around desperately waiting for word from the United Kingdom.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales=4
+Australia=5

"Unless you count Canada."

I do. GB, NI, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. If you have the Union Jack in your flag or you put Queen Elizabeth on your money, you're still in the British Empire. Which, I suppose, means Fiji and Tuvalu go in there, too. And an arguement could be made about Hawaii, I suppose.

You said the sixth country of the UK, nothing to do with the Commonwealth or the Queen. The United Kingdom is comprised of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, plus the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Hence, you are stupid. And smell. And are fat.

Quebec separatism has taken it UP TEH BUTT!!1! as of late and is not presently a viable political movement.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps