Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Crossroads.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crossroads....
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problems....

I talked to the CS academic counsellor today and he mentioned several things:

1) Some of the courses that I have under my belt no longer qualify for graduation in their 4-year program, but can still stick to the three year degree. I would need more than one year back at school just to satisfy the modified requirements. As he says, the field of Computer Science is continually changing.
2) The requirements will surely change this year, "substantially" to quote the counsellor, due to the double-cohort. Specifically, the CGPA will probably rise to a point where I would need to pull of Straight A's in order to qualify. He says this on the basis of my marks (which I won't reveal). This year may not be a good year to go back to school, but the year after next might.

He does mention a special "upgrade program" for students who graduated with a three-year degree where they offer modified courses to bring previous students up to speed. So far, every academic official I've spoken to has recommended I take the three year degree and upgrade later, perhaps when the double cohort has finished their second year of classes.

It seems the academics are recommending I go for the three year degree while everyone else says I should risk a full time year. And Royal Bank is asking for a reply on their offer. Oh boy.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with the academics. They have experience and knowledge of the specifics involved, for the course in general, and the special requirements for this year. That makes them much more qualified to offer an opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Specifically, the CGPA will probably rise to a point where I would need to pull of Straight A's in order to qualify. He says this on the basis of my marks (which I won't reveal).

I think we managed to fight through the web of complexity and work out that you haven't got straight-As, so again, I'd say go with what they suggest.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least there is a market for Computer Science students.

Someday soon, I will be envious of the Squeegee kids on Younge street.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm obviously no academic. But I have had my share of dealings with counsellors. They're not infallible. I'm not saying you shouldn't weigh their recommendations carefully, but placing blind faith in them might not be the best idea, either.

I don't know the details of the course reqs, but I can't believe they'd be yanked up so much that the fourth year would be seven billion times harder than the previous three. I'd ask some hard questions re: the substantial part.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say you should take the bank job, take the one class for the 3-year degree and worry about the rest later. A year in school is a long time for someone who doesn't want to be there, as I can tell you. And as I've heard from more people than I can count, you'll learn more on the job, actually doing the work, than you will in an artificial school setting. Plus you will find out if you actually need that 4-year degree or not, and you can always go back and get it if you do. Add to it the fact that most people change careers at least 3 times in their lifetime; you may be doing something entirely different ten years from now and not need that degree anymore. Lastly (but perhaps it should be first), ask yourself how you feel about going back to school full-time and how you feel about staying in the workplace. If you feel an untraceable dread (as in you can't figure out where it's coming from), that road is probably not a good idea.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's dependant upon what one is studying, though. I mean, I imagine one could learn more about hotel management or stock trading or even networking by doing it. Just as much, maybe, at least. And the idea that a degree means a job is, of course, iffy at best.

I'm not so sure that that's the real value of such an education. I mean, sure, if I wanted to get some sort of technical certification, that would be a different story. But it seems to me that one of the values, and I think the primary one, of a college or university education (These are seperate things in Canada? It's like a foreign country to me.) isn't a specific set of knowledge to be plugged into some future job. It's a skill set, a framework that makes the further assimilation of knowledge much easier. And this is not something I think can be easily found anywhere else.

However, this is an opinion based completely on my own experience, interest, and aptitudes, and I don't know how useful it is to anyone else.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so drives the final nail in the coffin.

I've just received a phone call from a company offering me a job doing technical support. $26,000/year including benefits. I guess my decision is made then.

But thanks for your opinions anyways. I was considering full time if I still hadn't obtained a steady job, but I guess that is moot then.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps