Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 512 or 1024? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 512 or 1024?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right.
No matter how hard I try not to underestimate the prevalence of stupid people.....humanity makes its best effort to show that I'm really an optimist.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does depend on what circles you move in. I know no-one who would want flickering leds on their computer case, but if you hang around with people who discuss FSB speeds, then, yeah, you'll bump in to them.

Anyway, the answer to the original post would be this:

No, you don't need 1024mb at all. But you have friends who spend far too much time masturbating over their computers (possibly quite literally), and so what we say doesn't really matter.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try getting more cache. If you want to ramp up yer speed.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiet, Mr Semi-Absent Aussie. He quite blatently doesn't need more speed with a set-up like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you say, oh master.

Sod off [Smile]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Quiet, Mr Semi-Absent Aussie. He quite blatently doesn't need more speed with a set-up like that.

idoidoidoidoidoidoidoidoidoidoidoidoido.

If I could only get the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz with 2MB of Level 3 cache...... But that is so expensive.....

Rub my ego. Please....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it that you exactly *do* with your computer?
Your profile only lists Starcraft, so please enlighten us.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy... just go get a PowerMac Dual-2.0 GHz G5, and load it up with 8 GB of (400 MHz) DDR SD-RAM after OS X v10.3 (aka "Panther") comes out next month. Taking into account the 1024 KB L2 cache (512 KB/processor) and the dual 1 GHz frontside bus (one per processor), your system will be leaving skid marks on the desktop! [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, then, does it matter how fast the computer is if it doesn't run anything?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course not -- that's why the Intel people have managed to get away with that Megahertz Myth for all these years. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rub my ego. Please...."

I don't think it is your ego that needs rubbing. B)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaeMan: Say Mac again and you better be sleeping with one eye open. No one recommends a Mac to me without coming away alive. Ever. [Razz]

I've sorta kicked the Starcraft habit, haven't played for a long while. It's now Freespace 2 and CounterStrike (yes I know, Freespace 2 is old, but I can't wait to see how a kickass system has an effect on my favourite game, for a game that old, it still has kickass graphics). I'm also looking forward to the new HalfLife 2, as well as Command and Conquer: Generals.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FS2 on a 3GHz system w/ 1GB of RAM is overkill, and if your old PC can already run it fluently at maximum detail, also quite pointless. HL2, on the other hand...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to know where I can acquire a penis to measure against the penises of my friends.

I am thinking of maybe putting in some studs along the shaft, maybe that will make me come out on top.

Stroke my ego, please.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Saltah'na, my apologies. I forgot to read my own signature. [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps