Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 512 or 1024? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 512 or 1024?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computers cannot run faster than they need to.

Yes they do dammit....

Little update: I attempted to see if I could procure one of the P4 3.0 CPU with motherboard bundles, but found out that the store that was giving the deal sold out in less than an hour. Word told that there was a long lineup of people looking to get this bargain, some started to line up two hours before opening. Yes I came in early, but I did not expect the bundle to be THIS popular.

Fortunately, word also got out that the bundle might be offered again. The only question is when. So until that time, I will have to mope around with my P4 1.6 with 256 MB of RAM. *sniff*

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You spoiled americans with your hamburgers and your rock n' roll!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, curse us and our Big Macs and Britney Spears!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for Britney anyway....

Let us eat our big macs and always be fat....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes..we are all so jealous.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we are a fat stupid nation, envy us with all your might, or we might bomb you.....

--------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bundle is being offered yet again, and my order has already been placed and shipped out. UPS tracking indicates that it is stuck at Hamilton, Ontario, going through the normal cross border check. Hopefully, it will be here by Monday.

Thank god for exchange rates. Since the start of this thread, the exchange rate has been at around 67 cents US per every Canadian Dollar. Now it is 76 cents US per every Canadian Dollar. It has allowed me to save quite a nifty sum of cash.

So, in preparation for my new system, I decided to go shopping for some critical items, namely that 1 GB of RAM as well as a strong 400W power supply that my baby will be feeding out of. So here I am, possibly going for some Generic RAM selling at $106, when out of the blue, I decided to ask about the more expensive RAM that is much more stable. Lo and behold, these RAM chips are Red.

Same as my new motherboard.

Same as my new Radeon 9800.

An all Red system.

Price Difference: $10 per stick (I bought 2).

So, like a mouth-watered hyena, I decide to cough up the dough. All new Red system. All I need is a Red case.

No I don't, this case I have is just fine.

Last week, when we were cleaning out the Service area, we were instructed to throw out all the junk. And if we were to find something that was of interest to us, we could keep it.

I found myself a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1. Decent card. Once plugged in, it actually makes my games alot smoother than running on Integrated audio.

Cool!!! Saves me $60!!!

Did I mention that the chipset Fan on my new motherboard blinks? The motherboard also came with its own rounded IDE cables.....

The359, I think I'm going to need that Ricer ticket. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

So, you'll be working the Red System District now???

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, just for a laugh [Wink] , here are the specs of my machine:

AMD K6 450 MHz
256 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX (32 MB video RAM)
20 Gig harddisk
Soundblaster Live! Value
Internet connection: DSL
Windows 98 SE

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAMNNNNNN. Nice setup, AP. One of those hifalutin hot beige cases? Say it is. Frankly I think your GeForce2MX is overkill, but maybe in a couple years everyone will have 32MB VRAM cards. Or better!

Saltnpepha: Do you have a window on your case to see your pretty lights? Fry's had gynormous red Antec cases at one point. Can't remember if those had windows.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's mine:

P4 - 2.0Ghz
512MB Ram.
140gigs HD space.
DVD
DVD Burner.
Soundblaster Live 128.
GeForce4 MSI-4200 128MB SDRAM Vid Card
Internet: Cable
WinXP w/ Office 2003.

Love the machine..

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Balaam Xumucane: Well yes, the case is the standard grey/beige/whatever color. No fancy mod-case as I am not a hardcore gamer. And of course I didn't mention the CD-ROM and CD-Burner drives, but they seem to be standard components anyway. I haven't got a DVD-ROM drive or burner. I make do with my home cinema... [Wink]

Actually the GeForce 2 MX is not the "overkill" part in my machine, rather the 256 Megs of RAM. When I bought that PC the standard was 32 to 64 Megs of RAM. I had 128 then and have since upgraded.

Anyway, next year will see me buying a new machine. An AMD 64 FX (the new one for socket 939), that's for sure. As for the rest of the specs I haven't decided yet. Depends on what becomes available until then.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
Saltnpepha: Do you have a window on your case to see your pretty lights? Fry's had gynormous red Antec cases at one point. Can't remember if those had windows.

I'm not trying to go for a cool case. In fact, I'm using the same case that housed my P4 1.6.

I need to show off. I need to take pictures of my new baby, which is running fine and purring like a kitten, thankyouverymuch.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be the king of silicon bling. Yes indeedy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps