Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Graphics Card Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Graphics Card Question
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've got a mate who's just bought the PC version of Pro Evo Soccer 3. It needs a Direct X 8.1 graphics card. Why, I don't know, since it's a conversion of a PS2 game and the graphics really arne't that good.

Anyway, he doesn't have one. He has a fairly fast computer (1800+ I think), and 512mb of memory, so that's not a problem.

He really doesn't want to spend a lot of money. Less than �50. So as far as I can see, he's limited to about two choices. A 128mb 9200 Radeon, or a 64mb GeForce FX5200.

The question is, which one to get? I know the Radeon isn't DirectX 9 compatible, whereas the GeForce is. But there's no actual games that use DirectX 9 at the moment, and Half Life 2 will apparently run the lower end GeForce FX cards in DX 8.1 mode, rather than DX 9 mode.

So, really, is it worth it? Is the GeForce noticably faster than the 9200 at running DX 8.1 (and lower) games? Does the memory on the card make much of a difference? If I could find a 5200 with 128mb, would that make a difference? Does the 5200 have the stupid great big noisy fan that the big FX cards have?

And no suggestions that involve spending �100. He really won't go for that. He's not a mad game power user. He just wants Pro Evo 3, and maybe Age of Mythology.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have a GeForce4 MSI 4200 - it's a 128MB card - i believe the 4100 is the 64mb card... it is around $150CAN - which is what?? around - a 65pounds'ish I would go for the one that is forward compatible myself...

But the radeons are rated #1 for FPS baseline tests...

But for the bang for the buck - GeForce is a great product and very comperable...

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further to my post... my card is around 65 pounds.. but the 64 mb cards are considerably less.. I just don't recall how much...

--------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Ok.. maybe i was out to lunch -- according a british site - they are 116 pounds...

http://www.savastore.com/products/product.asp?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10244352&pid=45&tid=2

There could be better deals out there - who knows.. I don't think i spent any more than $160CAN on mine - but i GOT A GREAT deal on a packaged computer.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, really, is it worth it?"

No.

"Is the GeForce noticably faster than the 9200 at running DX 8.1 (and lower) games?"

No.

"Does the memory on the card make much of a difference?"

No.

"If I could find a 5200 with 128mb, would that make a difference?"

No.

"Does the 5200 have the stupid great big noisy fan that the big FX cards have?"

No.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, read for yourself.
It looks like the 5200 is the better performer on
today's games, the 9200 seems a bit flakey.
However, I would avoid the Half Life 2 like a plague on any Nivida card less than a 5600, if even that really, even with DX8.1.
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030311/index.html
However, how much does an oem Sapphire (i.e. third party) 9600 cost over there?

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

I've found the GeForce a great performer for sure...

Cartman - my Ti4200 has a fan - but it's super quiet [Wink]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for being helpful, but, er, what part of "he won't spend more than �50 on a card" weren't you getting? And where the hell was this place that was selling a GeForce 4 for �116!

Okay, going by Dabs, who are pretty much the cheapest and most reliable, the non-brand cards are...

Radeon 9200SE 64MB DDR AGP DVI - �29.99
Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR AGP VO - �40.00
GeForceFX 5200 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO - �45.00
GF FX5600XT 128MB DDR AGP DVI - �70.00
Radeon 9600SE 64MB DDR AGP DVI VO - �70.50

So, as you can see, the halfway decent DirectX 9 cards are out of his budget.

Cartman seems to be recommending the Athalon. Or possibly saying that they're just about the same. I'm not sure.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucus: "However, I would avoid the Half Life 2 like a plague on any Nivida card less than a 5600".
Provided there'll be any HL2. At all.
U know, they stole teh code!!! Now they cant find it!!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err. Right.

Anyways, back on topic.
Then despite my history as a fan of ATI cards, I'd recommend the 5200. Unless you can wait for a Christmas special on the 9600 to drop into your budget, then the lower-end ATI cards don't appear to have the performance needed. I wouldn't worry about the fan noise of the 5200 or looking for memory, these are a far cry from the 5900s.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sapphire Radeon 9800 128 MB, for $290. That's Canadian dollars.

There's also a MSI Geforce FX 5900 128 MB for $370.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What means 'budget'?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you mean budget, there is a Forsa (no name brand) GeForce FX 5600 selling for $130.

Given nVidia's recent numbers, I wouldn't touch that card with a fifteen foot pole.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Psy: that's what i said... for the money - i wouldn't go for the card I have - but the one below it - where you would probly get into the 50pound to 70 pound range !!

But that the card i have is great - and there are lower-end ones with less memory etc.. that will be more in the price-range.. like this one:

http://www.valuelist.co.uk/ViewProductDetailsOnly.asp?guid=&productID=1419&position=middle

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Seriously, I love you all, and appreciate the suggestions, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Sapphire Radeon 9800 128 MB, for $290. That's Canadian dollars.

There's also a MSI Geforce FX 5900 128 MB for $370.

quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Well, if you mean budget, there is a Forsa (no name brand) GeForce FX 5600 selling for $130.

... what part of 'what part of "he won't spend more than �50 on a card" weren't you getting?' weren't you getting?

So, one final time, and remembering that this isn't for me, as I'd have got the 9600, assuming that his person absolutly can not and will not spend more than FIFTY BRITISH POUNDS, would you recommend the 9200, or the FX5200? Or does it not matter?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps