Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Airl!ne (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Airl!ne
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine, you're forgiven. Don't do it again.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, recap: you, Snay, vent your frustration about people being dumb as styrofoam rocks (no argument there) and that 9/11 should have beaten some brains into them.

Liam, being British and therefore having already been exposed to the reality TV plague of the last four years, thinks this is your first introduction to the phenomenon and notes that "people are idiots" is actually fairly well-spread knowledge. You bitch-slap him back to Liverpool for misunderstanding you.

Lee, being British too, asks where the fuck you've been that you could have stayed oblivious to this basic fact for so long, as he also made the not-unreasonable assumption you meant people in general.

You next leap seven billion miles from where everybody was by saying you weren't talking about generic round-the-world brainlessness, though that wasn't clear from your post AT ALL.

Lee jokingly remarks that nothing, not even 9/11, can erase human stupidity, so you shouldn't use it as an excuse to expect improvement anytime soon.

THEN you launch into a diatribe about all the backlash generated by 9/11 and how Lee is wrongfully sandwiching you between Rob and Omega and how total asininity pisses you off and how you have failed to rape a deer yet this year.

And so, for the second time in two days, I'm left with a distinct: the "fuck"?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...when you have failed to rape a deer, the terrorists win!

Pretty clear to me. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to stir the pot here is a stupid Brit. to add to Snay's list.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus.
It was at MIA!
She's lucky some gung-ho passengers didint get ahold of her.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ship her to Bagdad. Let's see if she can make THEM laugh!

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mean Baghdad. Baghdad is the capital of Iraq. Bagdad is a town in New Brunswick, Canada.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about the spelling of Bagdad Caf�, and then I realised that was only the name of the film in the UK anyway. . .

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My anger mostly stemmed from Lee's assertion that not only was I using 9/11 as an excuse for something I wasn't, but that I had used it as an excuse for previous behavior. Given that certain members of this forum have used 9/11 as justification for certain acts of this presidential administration, and that I have never used 9/11 as an excuse (and wasn't using it as an excuse here), I flipped out because, dammit, he was being a fool.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I think you mean Baghdad. Baghdad is the capital of Iraq. Bagdad is a town in New Brunswick, Canada.

Canada...Iraq...Is there REALLY any difference other than one has snow and the other sand?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Canada...Iraq...Is there REALLY any difference other than one has snow and the other sand?

Iraq has better neighbours.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

WizArtist
Member # 1095

Yeah, those ICELANDERS can be a royal pain.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.

Lee
Member # 393

I just love it when Americans call me a fool. Makes me feel I'm doing something right. 8)

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you're a fool, Lee. You'll have to try harder.

OTOH, I abhor reality TV. There's plenty of people acting stupid and being frustrated and atagonistic in real life, so I'm not really entertained by it. And do you know what I do about it? I don't watch.

When I first heard about survivor, I thought the idea sounded cool. But that's because I thought it was an island of normal people just trying to get by on an island without any modern appliances or anything. Kind of like a staged Lord Of The Flies, and we'd just get to see what happened, and who could make it. Whoever did, gets a cut of $1million. That would be interesting to me. But there's all the 'challenges' and 'alliances' and people backstabbing one another. I'm sorry imposing that sort of thing isn't reality anymore is it? Hear me, Fox? Make that show and I'll watch it.

Lee
Member # 393

"Try harder?" Why? I think maybe you're investing a little too much of your emotional life here. This. . . thing we got going here, it's nothing. I can say what I want and it doesn't matter.

And in fact these reality shows have nothing to do with reality. They're heavily edited to enhance whatever situations the producers want to focus on, and whenever possible they go all-out to engineer those situations in the first place, by picking a bunch of people who aren't going to get on then presenting them with a set of conditions that will strain the group dynamic even further.

Two British shows tried to do what you suggest - one had a group of people living on a remote Scottish island for a year or six months or whatever; some of them didn't get along but for the most part nothing interesting happened and nobody watched. The other was more of a Castaway thing, you had a much more photogenic bunch of twentysomethings on a desert island, but all they got was increasingly scabby and no-one watched. The only success the format's had here was Celebrity Survivor, in which a load of Z-list celebs did stupid things and assured themselves a continuing career in TV advertising and new-supermarket-opening for years to come.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps