Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Refresh rate manager software? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Refresh rate manager software?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is a lot of technical questions for one week, I know, but I'm going insane here.

I'm attempting to play a computer game (Call of Duty) and every time I start the game the refresh rate of the monitor reverts to neanderthal-60 Hertz per sec.
So I leave the game, change the resolution in WINDOWS into what I think I'll use in the game, to kind of puppy-train the computer into using MY refresh rate of choice whenever it finds itself in a resolution I've tried.

No deal. I go into the game, I change the res into 800x600 or 1024x768, still the same damn 60Hz, and it literally gives me a headache looking at it.

This never happens in other games, and my GeForce Ti-4600 card is not to blame.

So, what software do you people use to preset and lock down the refresh rates for any given resolution, so that no game or program can violate your settings?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Download NVidia's refresh rate fix for 2000/XP, and RivaTuner to get the most out of that ol' 4200.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one of the strangest quirks introduced in XP. Previous Windows versions always defaulted to the highest possible resolution of graphics card and monitor, whereas now they default to 60hz. Have they given any explanation for this change?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save your eyes, use an LCD monitor [Wink]
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have 550 bucks to throw away on a 19in. flatscreen, maybe. As of now, my 20in. Hitachi will have to do, and it does.

Thanks, Cartman. The RivaTuner took some time to figure out, but at least the game now uses 85Hz @ 1024x768, a level of survival I'm prepared to accept.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LCD monitors have that rubbish response times thing that makes games blurry and like...shit.

Unless you spend a lot. And no-one ever seems to want to spend a lot on a monitor, considering the number of people I know still using the 14inch ones that came with their original computers.

Er, LCD monitors are crap resolution changing things. Yes.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
Member # 205

That is subject to change, but I suspect it'll take about five more years or so before the prices have fallen and the tech has risen so much that people seriously start switching over.
LCD's are okay for low-level office work or at the cash register at the supermarket, but for picture editing and gaming, not yet.

Indeed, the fabled "low response time" figure has quickly developed into an advertising argument, though they're still nowhere near that of a good CRT.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of this thread, I decide to check on my own refresh rate, and found out that it was set at 60Hz. So I changed it to 85Hz.

I still don't see any difference.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People that don't want to gauge their eyes out with spoons when they see a low refresh rate baffle me.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, it looks the same. Maybe it's lying to me, and that setting really doesn't do anything.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, I'm reading this on my in-laws' PC and I just checked their refresh rate - yup, 60; I set it as high as it will go, 72, but there's not a lot of difference that I can see. It is a flatscreen of some kind, I should probably know since I picked the PC when they bought it it. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

TSN, you have to go backwards to see change. If you're used to 60 Hz you don't think about the flicker.

Try this, go to 800x600 res and max out the refresh rate, it can usually take at least 120 Hz on a glass monitor, mine can go to 144.
Look at it for a while, THEN go back to 60 HZ.

On some monitors, having a bad refresh rate makes the screen look stripy, like with lines every other pixel row, "RoboCop"-view.
My brother had that once so I kicked up the refresh rate a notch, he was like "What did you just do now???".

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed that my monitor has those stripey lines. But unfortunately 60 Hz is as high as my display will go. The monitor is brand new so its more than likely the hardware, which is about 5 years old or so.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

I don't know, monitors and graphics cards from 1999 could do rather well.
What resolution are you using? How big is your monitor? What kind of beer do you like?
If it's at least a 17" monitor and your graphics card is from 1999 you could easily do 1024x768 at 75-85 Hz.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"LCD monitors are crap resolution changing things."

That's the only thing that still has me clinging to my 19" CRT for dear life. Not their meagre color vibrancy or long crystal response delays or dead pixels, but their bloody fixed resolutions. I don't want to sacrifice too much screen real estate, so I won't go for anything smaller than a 17", but since 1280x1024 (the native resolution of a 17" LCD) already makes me squint, I don't even want to THINK what the 1600x1200 of a 19" will do to me' eyeballs.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps