Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » BSoD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSoD
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a problem with a BSoD, specifically one that comes up when I leave my computer idle longer than about 15 minutes or so. The error says the following:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
***STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC00000185, 0xC00000185, 0x00000000, 0x00003000)

Then it dumps physical memory and sits there. After a little while longer the screen will black out. It tells me to reinstall any new hardware or software or something, and to disable BIOS caching or shadowing or some such thing. Its been doing this ever since I reinstalled Windows a few months back after I got a nasty virus that crashed the computer. I'm running Windows XP Professional (build 2600 I think) on a Celeron 500 system with 192 MB RAM.

And no, a new computer isn't an option.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is interesting since I was sure Windows XP didn't have the "Blue Screen of Death" feature.

Don't take offense but are you sure you're not running Win2000?

I've had my XP running since November 2001 and I have never ever seen a BSoD.
There have been lockups and software failure, but my XP merely jumps to the "Windows Task Manager" and lets me close the faulty application.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm running XP and yes, it does have a BSoD. Its just normally quite difficult to cause.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try, for example, disconnecting an external burner while it's burning. That does it quite well.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_ogli.asp
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do wonder why Microsoft don't make more of the Knowledge Database, since it's quite useful, and no-one seems to know about it.

So, the problem (probably) is:

0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, indicates improper termination, defective storage controller hardware, defective disk cabling, or two devices attempting to use the same system resources.

And the solutions are:

1/ If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check for cabling and termination issues.

2/ Another cause of Stop 0x77 messages is defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM.

3/ The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

Since 3 is the hardest to fix, start with the other two. Have you got a SCSI device? Since the computer crashes after 15 minutes or so, take out all your memory modules apart from one, turn the computer on and then leave it, to see if it crashes again. If it does, swap memory modules. If it still crashes, congratulations, you've eliminated one option.

Try turning off your L2 cache in the BIOS, too.

(I know a new computer is out of the option, but running WIn XP on a 500mhz Celeron with less than 256mb? That's pretty brave.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend has XP on a 667MHz with 64Mb RAM. He complains that he can only have about three programs running at the same time.
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
64? That's INSANE. It'd be a minor miracle just to get Paint, Notepad and CALCULATOR running concurrently with that little memory, let alone any heavier programs. Your friend does know he can (cheaply) upgrade his PC, right?

[ April 29, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep forgetting to suggest that as an article to PC magazines. They're full of "build a PC for less than the cost of buying one" articles, but they still end up with PC's costing around �600-700. Poor university students and the like haven't got that money to upgrade their poor, desolate 500mhz PIIIs with 10gig hard drives and 64mb RAM.

They should do a "build a new, cheap PC" article, from time to time. Show how for around �200 you could get a 2600+ Athalon, 80 gig hard drive and 256mb RAM, along with a new motherboard and case. Sure, it won't play Half-Life 2 very well, but you the quality of graphics card you need varies massively depending on what you actually do with a PC, so there's a lot of flexibility in that. And it's a massive step up from the computers that a lot of people are using today.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
1/ If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check for cabling and termination issues.

I have no SCSI disks, just the original 13GB hardrive that came with the computer.

quote:
2/ Another cause of Stop 0x77 messages is defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM.
Well, I was having a problem with some leaky RAM, but I pulled it out and replaced it.

quote:
3/ The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

Since 3 is the hardest to fix, start with the other two. Have you got a SCSI device? Since the computer crashes after 15 minutes or so, take out all your memory modules apart from one, turn the computer on and then leave it, to see if it crashes again. If it does, swap memory modules. If it still crashes, congratulations, you've eliminated one option.

My hardrive has been acting strangely lately, going into little spurts where it will create a disconcerting grinding noise...

quote:
Try turning off your L2 cache in the BIOS, too.
Will do.

quote:
(I know a new computer is out of the option, but running WIn XP on a 500mhz Celeron with less than 256mb? That's pretty brave.)
The computer originally came with 64MB of RAM and I went through Win98, Win2000, and WinXP for a bit before upgrading to 256MB. The guy that put the memory in said it was a miracle the computer even ran well.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My hardrive has been acting strangely lately, going into little spurts where it will create a disconcerting grinding noise...
It's failing. Get a replacement.

NOW.

Do NOT delay.

Your drive WILL fail VERY quickly, and if you fail to get the data off of it and onto a new drive ASAP, you're going to be screwed.

Cartman
Member # 256

Yes, to Obi-Capps you listen. Your drive's going to have a headcrash which will destroy EVERY last byte of data on it and there's NO way to recover your stuff once that happens.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you're going to be screwed.

I never got sex when my hard drive crashed.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

This would be all nice and dandy if I had the money to buy a new drive. [Frown]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

At least back up everything important to CDs.

80 gig hard drives cost �40 over here. Considering that everything is more expensive in the US than anywhere else in the world, you should be able to find them for cheaper than that. Make it a priority. Do not go out. Do not buy food. Save up for one.

And don't get a smaller one. You'll save a tiny amount of money for significantly less space. Unless things are drastically different over there, 80gig is about perfect on the price/performance graph for a decent but cheap hard drive.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps