Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » BSoD (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSoD
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did a backup last night. And the computer's been behaving itself for now. It hasn't made any grinding noises in a week or so. Providing it survives the summer, I'll just save up for a new computer altogether as I'll be using a different computer primarily in the fall.

On another note, I did some research regarding my system. It was assembled in 1999, and the drive has an expected 5 year life. Which would be this year.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if you built a computer, then you could use your new hard drive in it.

Don't do anything stupid like buying a pre-built system. That's only foor fools and silly-billys.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or not!
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I'm gonna catch shit for this (shit I will undoubtedly deserve), {MACDORK RANT} but my G4 w/ OSX.3 has been running solid for three weeks straight now. I've edited two feature-length DV movies, done some 3D modelling and rendering, scanning and Photoshoping work stuff up and down, Illustrator inside-out, Acrobat-ics, bunch of Excel star-charting stuff, all kinds of iTunes BS, networking to/from my PCs, and, of course, email & surfing throughout. No crashes. Not (only) bragging. It's just creepy in a way. Creepy good.

Also, last weekend, my dad, who I always think of as being fairly technically literate was having trouble getting his Wi-Fi to work under XP and asked his snot-nosed Mac-geek son to lend a hand. It was weird because his Cli� wasn't having any trouble. It took me about an hour-and-a-half and some fiddling with 'network bridge' stuff (?!), but I was eventually able to get his laptop working with his wireless router through a lot of trial and error. Inspired, this week, I finally bought myself a wireless card for my PowerBook. I installed it at an internet caf�. I was online in, seriously, five minutes. No, but these computers were quite a bit more expensive than their PC counterparts. Somehow I feel like I got my money's worth. My two cents. {/MACDORK RANT}

Sorry to hear about your drive, Topher. I've lost a couple that way (Hooray Quanum!). About the only upside is that it's a really good excuse to get a bigger one. I don't know if XP will put the drives to sleep when it's not using them, but while performance will suffer, your drives will live longer healthier lives.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, shit, there goes the neighborhood.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balaam: "{MACDORK RANT}"

Balaam MacDork? Of the clan MacDork?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kilt is Bondi blue.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps