Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » New computer, penny pincher style (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New computer, penny pincher style
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As before in Snay's thread, I need a new computer as this one is dying fast. Can't leave it idle for longer than 15 minutes, can't burn backups anymore, can't work with large images, etc. Really annoying. So, I'm hoping that maybe I can convince my parents to help foot the bill for a new computer for me when I go away to university. I could probably go out and build one on my own, but I'd like some assistance from you folk in getting the best quality. Basically what I'm looking for is the best quality, maximum upgradability, for about $500-600 CDN. Already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, so I don't need that. I have a floppy drive, a 4x4x24 CDR/RW drive, and 192 MB of RAM. The hard drive is toast. I wouldn't mind having a better CD drive, but its not a priority. If the budget can allow a faster CD burner that can play DVDs also, great. A fast system isn't required, but something better than 1 GHz is a plus. I have a NIC, so don't need one of those. I'd prefer to have separate sound and video cards, nothing built into the motherboard. But as everything else, that's not required but would be a plus. The current computer is a Compaq Presario 5477, so upgrading it isn't really practical as its an odd size and tightly packed. Oh, and I might need a modem. Dialup is still the only service available where I live at the moment. [Mad]

Thanks in advance for the help, folks! [Big Grin]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: My computer has finally bit the ghost. It now crashes when trying to do anything. Good news is my uncle is giving me his 5-6 year old computer (which is how old my computer is) so I should be able to scab together a decent system until I can get a new one. I'm posting this from my parents' computer, so I may be out of contact for a bit (not that anyone notices my absence anyways...).
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you say something ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try talking to the people at Beats & Bytes? I think they're pretty good. But then again, I know little about computers.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hehe. No, I haven't investigated local computer shops yet. Although, with the assistance of a friend, I built this system at TigerDirect:

quote:

Powmax - CP769PL - ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and 400Watt Power Supply $42.99
Maxtor 80GB/7200/8MB/ATA-133 EIDE Hard Drive $120.99
Kingston 256MB Non-ECC, CL3 PC3200 DDR 400 MHz $73.99
Sapphire Radeon 7000 Video Card/64MB SDR/AGP/TV Out & RCA/ Lite Version $49.99
Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz/128K cache/400 MHz FSB/Socket 478/Processor with fan $132.99
Soyo - P4X400 Dragon Lite - VIA Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP 8X/4X, USB 2.0 and 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN Support $99.99
Total: $520.94

With shipping ($41.61) and tax ($84.38) comes to $646.93. Not too bad, I don't think.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCIX.com has some good-assed Canadian deals.
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too late, maybe.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I browsed around NCIX and it seems as their prices are higher than TigerDirect's.
Member # 239

Maybe for you newfies.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

There's newfies on this forum? I never knew...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what 'LAN Support' entails on that system, but it might mean 'Wake On LAN' In which case, you'd probably be better off saving that $99 and geting a beefier Video card. Or more RAM. Or a non-Celeron processor. Where's Cartman when you need him?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I need a new motherboard. My current one is too old and crappy. And I have no problems with Celerons as my current computer is a Celeron. I don't really care about video cards, I don't intend to do any heavy gaming. Red Alert 2, Starcraft and SW: Galactic Battlegrounds will probably be the extent of my gaming. I already have a NIC anyways, so if the LAN support on the motherboard is no good, I have that covered. And I already have 192 MB of RAM, so I should be fine with 448 MB in the end.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drool 448MB of ram*

How easy is it to add new RAM? Do you have to remove the old RAM? I never tinker with the inside of my computer - closest I've gotten is installing a network card... and cleaning the dust (oh and oiling the fan on the CPU).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, there's slots for the RAM. You open the clips on each end, put in the DIMM, then close the clips.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there aren't any slots available, you remove the smallest one and replace it with a larger one.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps