Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Cassini At Saturn (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cassini At Saturn
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're only just barely visible at 1024x768. It's easier to see them on the full-res version.

If you look at the one that's on the left side, above the rings, there's a fainter dot to the right of it, just near the rings. And the last one is in just about the same position on the right side of the picture.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
How odd, that's actually my desktop image at the moment - and I can make out 4 white dots at 1024x768.

There are SIX moons!!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably behind some icons then.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: Six, actually. You see them nicely in 1824x1360.

Yes, nicely.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a booger on your objective lens. Or possibly some turnip juice.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, like I said, behind the icons. And did I mention the only PC I have at home right now is a notebook?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No you didn't. I'm sorry, are you holding out until the market makes further progress, like me? I'm refusing to get a new desktop until at least the 4Ghz line is passed.

But if you zoom in, you can catch the moons, right?

EDIT: I found another one! You had to up the brightness a lot, but I got the seventh moon! It's actually in the middle of the picture. It's very low orbit, so I think it's Titan or Io.
Seventh moon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do they play Ingmar Bergman films on Swedish TV often?
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Merciful:
It's very low orbit, so I think it's Titan or Io.

Io is one of Jupiter's moons, not Saturn's.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very much looking forward to the Huygens probe landing on Titan. I understand it'll take about 1,100 images on the way down and sample the air with six instruments all the way to the bottom. It'll release from Cassini on Christmas Day, and I b'lieve it'll cruise for 20-some-odd days before beginning entry. Exciting stuff.

--------------------
Silent enim leges inter arma.

Lee
Member # 393

It's creepy, I'm just re-reading Stephen Baxter's "Titan" which not only starts with Cassini-Huygens arriving at Saturn (God, did 2004 seem so long ago when I first read it years ago), but also early on features the losing of another Shuttle orbiter - guess which one. . .

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Merciful:
It's very low orbit, so I think it's Titan or Io.

Io is one of Jupiter's moons, not Saturn's.
Saturn, Jupiter, Iraq.....whatever.
T'aint our problem, right? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, when is the probe going to spot a strange black object on Iapetus...?
Lee
Member # 393

About five minutes before they regretfully announce they've lost contact with the probe, and are trying to find out why.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Don't worry. Whatever came back to the other side, didn't live long enough to supher.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps