Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Cassini At Saturn (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cassini At Saturn
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
If you ever read the novel version of 2001 (which was written concurrently with the movie script), Iapetus was where the second monolith was located, not in orbit of Jupiter.

B.J.

Oh and as I *ASKED* the question - it's clear I DID NOT read the novel version of 2001. (That's just to counter any sarcasm you intended to put in your post - if there was no sarcasm intended - then ignore this post [Smile] )

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok wait, so the monolith found on the moon was the first? It had gone down to the apes in prehistoric times, let them fondle it, then removed to the dirt of the moon?
Then, when humans came and found it again, it sent a high-pitched ping to a counterpart in orbit of Saturn, referring them to a colleague?

Also, so that we are clear, the thing making the probe go ballistic and rocket away in the early probe-mission of 2010, those were the multitudes of monoliths acting? Shaking off intruders?
And was this what happened to the cosmonaut? I never got why he had to die in the movie. Or wasn't it death, was it what Astronaut Dave's original "ascension" would've looked like from an outside perspective as well?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was ever specified what monolith visited the pre-humans on Earth. If it was either of the later ones, I guess it would have to be TMA-1. The other one was huge, as I recall.

I need to re-read 2001 one of these days.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it could change size...

I am surprised at people's reactions to 2010 (I checked imdb a little), saying it is watered-down, overexplained and spoonfed story compared to Kubrick's orgasm-inducing 2001 (to cineasts).

I think it's still lightyears ahead of action movies and modern Sci-Fi like "Contact" or "Sphere". I don't consider myself a slow person but there are elements in 2010 that are really vague and multilayered to me, following the tradition of 2001.

For instance, why make a second sun? Why issue an ultimatum to mankind?
Who/what is the monolith? Is it God? If so, was God born on Europa? Is Europa God's base of operations, from which he created the universe?

And, Helen Mirren IN PERM??? What is the message here??? I want to believe!

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should read 3001: Sean Bean in Space, 3061: Odyssey Too?, 4010: Dial down the Center, 5051: TMA-1 Flight 800 and 6600: WTF DOMINOES?11, I think that your questions are answered there.
Nim
Member # 205

I know they are. In ten years, I will write them and send them back in time to your mama. Also, I'm your father. Hello! Hiii! XOXOXOXO ^__^

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In thirty years, I will send back a cyborg so advanced that basic pronounciation is beyond him- to kill you as a child.

That, or I'll just save my money and have someone pop a cheap hollowpoint in your ass.

I dont know what this has to do with 2001, but I'm very tired and in some small degree of physical pain.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps