Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Pedestrians of the world, Beware... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pedestrians of the world, Beware...
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like me. :P

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well actually in some places in the US there are 15 year old liceased drivers . Of course then there's my 15 year old brother who decided to borrow the 740i BMW, which was kind of bad since he didn't have a licease, and he was driving, after a curfew, and had beer. He probably won't get a licease until he is 17, and that only want the law will likely do to him. O well at least nothing got damaged and no one got hurt.

HMS White Star

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Justice! BTW Of course, for me it is easier to go about without a car. But if you live somewhere in the outback of nevada...

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW: Imagine there's 160 KM of farmland between your town and the nearest other town it's size. The only businesses betwixt your town and the next are hotels, gas stations, and convenience stores.

You might consider that having a car would be a pretty good transportation option, especially when you consider that the nearest train station is in the next sizable town, and the bus stations are staffed by people who would rather not deal with you any more than necessary, generally dirty, and frequently occupied by winos and tubercular old men.

Something like 50% of the population of the U.S. lives within 50 miles of the ocean. Look at a map. The rest of us have to drive a long ways to reach the next outposts of civilization.

--Baloo

------------------
Christ is coming soon.
Look busy.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I went out on the Turnpike for the first time today and managed not to kill, hurt, or maim anything or anyone... and my mother sat in the backseat, and DIDN'T scream, so I guess i'm doing pretty well for my 4th day driving.

------------------
"Nothing can be altered, there is nothing to decide
No escape, no change of heart, no anyplace to hide
You are all I'll ever want, but this I am denied
Sometimes in my darkest thoughts, I wish I'd never learned
What it is to be in love and have that love returned"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done. I am willing to bet it is a busy road, as most turnpikes tend to be. I hate busy roads.

My nearest 7/11 is a half hour walk. But I only live ten miles from the State Capitol.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's the Connecticut vehicle that hit me?

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Baloo, that was exactly what I meant. Dutchmen don't need cars, most Americans do. You say it as if I meant the opposite. But that could be me. I'm not sure anymore.

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAY JUBILEE!!!!!!
Driving RULES!!!!!!!!! Just out of curiousity, what vehicle are you driving? And is it Standard or automatic?

And by the way, Jubilee, "Join the club" of people who are risks to the road. Hehehe.... I've been driving since I was 11 on dirt roads illegally, but now, I have my learner's permit and only about 7 hours of highway driving practice to my name - so if any of you see a white 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier with a little red "L" sign on the back, give some extra attention to the road. BWAHAHAHA. I can drive without killing anyone, but I'm not too sure about maiming anyone yet.

DANGER TIME RANGE:
July 20th - August 30

DANGER GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION:
British Columbia, Canada
Alberta, Canada

*Snickers*

------------------
Pleh.

[This message has been edited by Coddman (edited July 15, 1999).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I'm driving my friends brand new Hundai (sp?) Elantra.. Dark green ........ and currently a bit scraped. Just a BIT scraped...... *whistles innocently*

------------------
I try, in that moment, to see through your soul
when all that is driving my heard forward
is you, thoughts of you, hopes for you,
and a fading dream with a Mona Lisa smile
that whispers "are you thinking of me too?"
- Leanna Allen

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Hyundai-trust me, I'm forced to drive one.

------------------
"The brocolli must die!"

-Stewie, The Family Guy

IP: Logged
RW
Member # 27

And it's Lantra. That, or the US sales branch thought Elantra was a more evocative name. And they look like they're made of plastic. The cars that is.

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you haven't had any fun until you get your first ticket (Don't look at me I only gotten 1 in 3 years, and it wasn't even for speeding, stupid rolling stop on a stop sign, it was on a right hand turn). Actually I haven't had my car hit anything however every once in a while I run over a curb .

P.S. Wait a minute I actually did run into a curb once, but it wasn't my fault, it was the stupid ice (which is highly unusual in Memphis, TN). And there was that I time I hydroplaned about 150 feet (which is not fun in any way ), but lucky I was the only car on that road .

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Hyundae Elantra.

RW: I wasn't getting pedantic, but agreeing with you.

When I was stationed in Europe, I was jealous of the nice, CLEAN trains, buses, etc. Your public transport isn't the hardship it is here. Our buses and trains are generally old, poorly maintained, and/or generally abused and run-down.

Some folks think our public transportation network would be bright, efficient, and shiny like in Europe if we subsidized it, but the volume of traffic simply would not justify the amounts of money we would have to throw at it.

Too bad. I like trains.

--Baloo

------------------
"Someday your ship will come in...and you'll be at the airport "
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 16, 1999).]

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you spelled Hyundai wrong too....

------------------
"The brocolli must die!"

-Stewie, The Family Guy

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps