Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Pedestrians of the world, Beware... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pedestrians of the world, Beware...
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

So in the US, it's Elantra instead of Lantra? Um, what's the reason for something as futile as that?
What's the original Korean name anyway, with or without the e?

And yes, I think West European public transport is much better. But beware of the Prague subway trains (1960s? 1950s?)

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that the little chrome thing on the back of my car says Hyundai.

[This message has been edited by Deep6 (edited July 16, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There once was a VW sold here as the "Rabbit" and sold in the rest of the world under another name, which I can't recall right now. I just remember thinking the other name was better.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

? You mean the golf? Kind of like the fiat strada in the UK..

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to say that I LOVE driving Jubes, and I'm glad to hear that you're learning how... i'd ALSO like to say that 16 year old drivers aren't always bad... I drive a minimum of several hundred miles a week here around town, and I have since I was 16, and not ONCE have I gotten in an accident that way my fault. I had one car totalled while it was parked innocently in a parking lot, but THAT wasn't my fault, seeing how I wasn't even there, and then I got rear ended a few weeks ago while sitting at a stop sign. Other than that, NO problems.... and my friends all say that I'm the best driver they know.... I'll admit that a lot of being a good driver involves experience, but I still truly feel that I'm a better and more EXPERIENCED driver than a lot of people that I know that are several YEARS older than me...

But that's just my opinion... anyway, as I said, I love driving, so you know... gotta go now.... my car is calling! *grin*

~LOA

------------------
"Show us the lost and dying world
Remove the scales from our eyes
And as we go through all the earth
May our hearts weep for our lives..." FOM '99

RW
Member # 27

What's the average American gasoline price in dollars, per gallon? I have the impression it's dirt cheap over there, whereas here it's rather expensive.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems high to us, but I know it's a lot cheaper then overseas. Summer time average in this state, about $1.25 - $1.30 per gallon. It's usually higher here then in other places. They call it transport cost because they have to cross mountains, but the truth is that all of the Gasoline (Petro) for this area comes from less then 100 miles(160.9344K) form here, and the road is one of the flatest roads coming into the area. In the winter, when there is less travel, the price drops to around $1.00 a gallon.

Accoding to my coverter, one US gallon=3.785412 Litre or 0.8326738 UK gallon. I understand it's 3 to 5 dollars a gallon over there.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh's figures sound right.

It hovers near CAN$0.60 per litre around here.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

RW
Member # 27

Hm. That's 3.97 dollars per US gallon, last time I checked (that is - last time we passed the petrol station in the neighbourhood)

Another fun question:

Does any scandinavian member know what a litre of milk costs over there? Last time I was in Denmark..um..1991, everything just seemed like a ripoff. Sometimes even three times as expensive as here..

Lastly, I won't ask you what a litre of vla costs in the states, cos that would be rather pointless.

Oh, one US dollar is 428 thousand Turkey lira. Don't they reckon it's time for a new currency?

[This message has been edited by RW (edited July 22, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gasoline was down to $0.93 a gallon in my town this spring, thanks to the mild winter, but now it's back up to $1.15, thanks to... um, greed or something.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, it just jumped up again. Now it's hovering near $1.30 which is almost how much I paid in Connecticut, where gas prices are always 20 cents higher than anywhere else.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the military, you travel a lot. If it isn't for official business, it's to visit relatives on the other side of the continent. I'll tell you some day about driving 3,000 miles each way in a 1986 Chevy Sprint (Suzuki Swift) four-door, but not now.

I have observed something which makes no logical sense to me:

The price of gas seems to have no relation to the cost of transporting it to the point of sale from the refinery.

The price does seem to fluctuate as a function of demand and ability to pay. You will never find cheap gas in beverly hills.

Here in New Mexico, right in the heart (or upper spleen, at least) of Oil Country, the price of fuel tends to go up in the summer when we want to travel a lot, and down in the winter when the weather's so bad you don't drive unless you are required to by law or (in my case) regulation. The seasonal fluctuation is expected.

Regional price variation seems to be tied in to the general cost-of-living.

(Prices shown below are for unleaded regular. Add 10-25 cents for mid-grade unleaded or 25-40 cents for premium.)

When I was stationed in South Carolina, the price of gas dropped from where it had been (about what I pay today, just over a dollar) to around 65 cents. That was as low as I had seen it in 10 years.

Later, I was stationed in California, and the price in Sacramento was about 1.15/G. In San Francisco, the price was about 1.35/G. I hear in L.A., the cost is around 1.75-1.85/G.

The reason American gasoline is so cheap, compared to European fuel prices, is simple:

They don't produce much there.

Most (probably all, since I don't hear about how cheap the gas is in Slobbovia) European countries have a stiff tax on petroleum products (including fuels). This has the effect of artificially reducing demand so the balance of trade doesn't resemble a severed golden artery, spurting precious monetary value out of the country faster than other trade can bring it in.

It also encourages efficient vehicles and ones that use alternative (made there or cheaper anyway) fuels. The advantage is that if a large percentage of oil-producing nations got together and decided to fix the price of crude at an absurdly high value, the European nations could just tighten their belts and say "Sorry, but we can do without quite as much as we had before".

Japan is in a slightly more precarious predicament. If I am not mistaken, japan imports virtually all of it's fossil fuels. This makes Japan particularly careful not to disturb the tranquility of its fuel-providers. It also makes Japan particularly keen on technology (such as nuclear power, wind power, and wave power) that lessens this dependance. They like it very little, thank you.

I don't blame them.

--Baloo

P.S.: I got side-tracked from the original topic. Did I make sense anyway?

------------------
I'm not uncouth.
I'm differently mannered.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Baloo, where I live, the oil refinery is just a few minutes away and prices are higher than distant places.

Go figure.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

RW
Member # 27

Interesting points Baloo, now I wonder if methane gas is cheaper over here than in non-methane producing countries. But:

1: I have no idea how much a cubic meter of methane costs here..

2: I don't know how to find out what it costs in other countries..

The first one who asks me if tulips are, therefore, more expensive outside of The Netherlands gets his ass kicked because of national stereotyping :]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, is it okay if I ask that about threelips?

[ducks!]

------------------
I'm not uncouth.
I'm differently mannered.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps