Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Yep, you've guessed it - another techincal problem, only this time it's for my sister (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Yep, you've guessed it - another techincal problem, only this time it's for my sister
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Briefly:

Sister got a laptop with Norton Antivirus on as standard.
Removed it in favour of McAfee, despite me telling her and my parents not to.
McAfee fucked up laptop royally - had to use all my basic skills just to get it off system.
Now MSN Messenger won't work on laptop, sister has tried downloading the latest version but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help fix this please or will she have to reformat and start again?

Oh yeah - any McAfee lovers out there - my parents put it onto their PC and had nothing but problems until they recently uninstalled it - now PC works OK - so [Razz]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your simplest solution is to not use MSN messenger. Your second simplest solution is to use Trillian for all your IM needs. If neither of those is acceptable, I can't help ya.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Define "won't work," please. Your description is completely useless.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the system come with a restore disc of some type????

For the future get something similier to GoBack. Give it a GB or two of space and life is nice......

The striaght AV program is good, same with Norton, but either of the 'Total Control' packages are crap from what I've dealt with....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Vader speak* Sssister. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Define "won't work," please.

Also define "royally fucked up".

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twas crowned and all....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dad did something similar against my advice and installed a bunch of crap on his laptop i warned him not to, royally the "fuck"ing things up.

you should try doing what i did: i told him he should listen to me, that his computer is fucked, and that i don't have time to fix it. then continue whatever it was you were doing.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
Define "won't work," please. Your description is completely useless.

OK - won't let her sign/log in to both Messenger and Hotmail. Yahoo - e-mail is OK, Messenger is also not allowing her to sign in.

My sister had searched for Trillian before, but spelt it with an "o" rather than an "a". [Roll Eyes] She will now download it and see how it turns out. However, she cannot even get into her HSBC on-line account. We guess Trillian won't fix that, any suggestions?

Omega - That's not very helpful! [Mad] [Razz]

Ritten - GoBack was an option, but it is too long ago for her to use it. "'Twas crowned and all...." - ROFLMFAO! [Big Grin]

Lee - ROFLMFAO! [Big Grin]

Cartman - "Royally fucked up" - means laptop froze, couldn't log in and had to use safe mode, that sort of thing - that you encounter every day with this wonderful thing called "technology" that some twat put together wrong. [Big Grin]

Capped in Mike - ROFLMFAO! [Big Grin] Sorry, but it's the way that you say it - give up your day job and become a comedian! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you need to do the following:

A: Post some pictures of your sister here along with her messenger handle. Really, she won't mind and it is really, really important.

2: Do that installing the Trillian thing.

III: Find other non MS "solutions" to your computer and Intraweb needs.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'Royally fucked up' - means laptop froze, couldn't log in and had to use safe mode, that sort of thing - that you encounter every day with this wonderful thing called 'technology' that some twat put together wrong."

More often, the problem with technology is that some twat used it wrong.

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"'Royally fucked up' - means laptop froze, couldn't log in and had to use safe mode, that sort of thing - that you encounter every day with this wonderful thing called 'technology' that some twat put together wrong."

More often, the problem with technology is that some twat used it wrong.

[Razz] HEY! I never said that I was a genius when it came to computers! Provided it allows me to access the Net to ask you lot for advice, receive abuse and have a damned good laugh and play games, I'm happy. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
Sounds like you need to do the following:

A: Post some pictures of your sister here along with her messenger handle. Really, she won't mind and it is really, really important.

No - she ugly! [Big Grin] [Razz]

quote:
III: Find other non MS "solutions" to your computer and Intraweb needs.
Such as? [Confused]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Trillian is nice, but I personally find it a bit clumsy. I use Miranda IM, but it's very very basic and slightly buggy, so perhaps not suited for little sisters. I don't really have any problems with MSN, as long as you turn off those annoying sounds and get rid of the Action Bars (or whatever the countless useless toolbars are called today).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a Mac. What? Oh... Helpful. Riiiight.

What are other people's experiences with McAfee AV? My dad is thinking of getting a new one, but his buggy-ass system seems like it's always throwing messages insisting he renew his subscription, etc. OTOH he hasn't had any virus problems. I use Norton on my PCs, but that's mostly because I had it and it was easy.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps