Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Yep, you've guessed it - another techincal problem, only this time it's for my sister (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Yep, you've guessed it - another techincal problem, only this time it's for my sister
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
For the future get something similier to GoBack. Give it a GB or two of space and life is nice......

Hmm. Something that "restores" your "system". Super brilliant idea, dudes. Well done for being the first to think of it.

Anyway, I've just tried installing McAfee on someone's computer, and it did indeed fuckup, although it worked fine on mine. We found a newer version of Norton, put that on, and discovered that the computer had a couple of viruses on. So maybe they were the problem, I dunno.

But yeah, turn off the Windows firewall, and download Zonealarm. And you should probably do one of those registry cleanups too. I bet there's a billion and one things loading up at startup, and I hate that. Hate it hate it hate it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing says "Mmmm.." like Qttask, Realplayer Start-center and 'Weather-Temperature'!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This I think pertains to some of the denizens with itchy fingers here. Also, it made me think of U, psy. N-Joi! ^__^

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not obsessed about stuff like that. It's just after fixing the third unpatched PC infected with that blaster.worm thing I started to get a little bit edgy about stuff like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zone Alarm is a major memory hog if you keep it running for long periods at a time. Of course, I ran into major slowdowns with it only because my brother had wanted me to keep my computer on 24/7 so he can remote-access it and download stuff his school firewall wouldn't let him download. Now I just use a router.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In recent days, I've actually switched to Sygate from ZoneAlarm, due to the memory and CPU use mentioned...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're that jittery about security, then for the love of Bill, buy a hardware firewall/router. Don't ever trust any resource-sucking software package to protect your b0xx0r against a truly determined h4xx0r, because it won't.

(Not that a haxx0r skilled enough to bypass ZoneAlarm would ever target you either, BUT IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Actually, I've been meaning to ask that. When we got broadband in our house last month, we decided to make a wireless network. So we got a wireless router and set it up, WPA and all that. Do we actually need software firewalls running on the computers if we have a hardware one?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a default server set up within your router (all ports are mapped by default to one PC), than that PC recieves all the crap the internet throws at you. If there's no defserver, unaddressed* packets to ports not explicitly mapped are discarded.

* Probably not true, but it's summer, and I don't want to get out my Computer Networks book right now.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I don't think there's a default server. One computer is plugged directly in to the router, but that's just because that was required when setting it up, and seeing as the cable modem is right next to his computer, it makes sense. He's taken his computer away for the summer, and the network still works.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might have a DMZ instead of a default computer.

Usually, the only benefit of a software firewall, is that it blocks unwanted *outgoing* information because any decent hardware one should be able to handle incoming information.

That way you can detect certain types of adware, malware, trojans, etc.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ahh. Well, assuming that the people using the network are intelligent enough not to download spyware, all have Windows fully patched, all know that any emails saying "HERE IS TEH FILE U WANTED!" are no-go areas, and all run Ad-Aware/Pest Patrol/Spy-Bot once a month, I take it that none of them really need a software firewall then?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can we find those people, and make sure they're the only ones allowed to use computers?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We round up all the people dumb enough to have ever let their computers be infected like that. And then we shoot them. Evolution will thank us for it.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Ahh. Well, assuming that the people using the network are intelligent enough not to download spyware, all have Windows fully patched, all know that any emails saying "HERE IS TEH FILE U WANTED!" are no-go areas, and all run Ad-Aware/Pest Patrol/Spy-Bot once a month, I take it that none of them really need a software firewall then?

Not so much.

You might want to add/run anti-virus software as well.

Mind you, if you already have software firewalls, it doesn't hurt to keep them around, so any virus that does get into the network has a harder time spreading.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps