Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I fried my clutch! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I fried my clutch!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's kept Liz from this thread all this time?
Is her legs pinned down under oversized home stereo equipment?

I need more to work with here!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you drive a manual transmission car?
I mean, in Florida, it requited to have your left elbow resting on the (rolled down) window...

My car tops out at 85 anyhow: nothing makes a Buick go faster (except possibly gravity on a down-ramp).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me get this straight - your clutch went out ALREADY? Sweety, that takes more than just "riding the clutch", in my opinion. I am the WORST at driving a 5 speed (Charles will back me on this) and *I* haven't even had my clutch go out yet. And I've driven well over 70K miles on it. In stop and go traffic. Not ideal.

Yeesh.

And over $1K in repairs? I woulda traded the thing in. Oy.

Nim, give me a break... I missed the thread for like, oh, 24 HOURS... sooo sorry! I'm a busy girl, you know... working, working, going to school, working, talking on the phone, working, swooning.... all things that take my time away from me [Wink]

Also, I don't have a home stereo to get pinned under [Razz] And if you MUST know, I wasn't going to bring this up, but I spent most of last night at the car stereo shop. So if I'm pinned under anything, it's car audio [Wink] Though it's not a happy thing... my component amp blew. So now I have a temp amp and a temp install just to let me have music, but it's not the greatest deal. Pleh.

Anyway, yeah. Gotta go.... work calls!

Snay: TAKE A DRIVING CLASS! Don't ruin this clutch, too ;-)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seventy thousand miles in one car?! I haven't driven seventy thousand miles in my entire life! Bloody Americans, they even drive to the bathroom. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises eyebrow*
We have a Toyota with 140K km and a Honda with 200K km on it. Thats roughly 80K and 124K miles...so thats really not out of the ordinary.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much driving do you do a day, then?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* I drive a lot... that's what happens when you live in the sticks and have to drive across town for work, and then to another end of town for school, then back across town to get home again. Plus I like road trips. A lot. And I also like my stereo, so whenever I carpool with friends and stuff, I end up driving. 'Cause my car is the coolest. And I don't like leaving it places, so it goes with me. Just how it is.... [Smile]
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, personally? Not one bit. I walk to the university campus as my commute. Both of the cars are family cars though, with daily commutes of roughly 1.5 hours with occasional 2.5 commutes....so between 150km (90 miles) and 250km (150 miles) per working day.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So an hour's drive each way isn't considered unusual for commuting to work? Strange. I've done that occasionally, but not on a regular basis. If I got a job that was an hour away by car, I'd consider moving. Yet I wouldn't have a problem with an hour's train journey.

But, who knows? I'm moving back to the UK in six weeks and will be living in the West Country. Chances are I'll end up working in Swindon, which isn't a prospect I relish. That'll be about an hour each way.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my mom returned her 3 year-old lease, it had a little over 90K km on it (56K mi). And my 88 Ranger has something along the lines of 220K km on it (137K mi).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz:

Trade it in? Are you kidding? I owe more on it then it's worth!

Lee:

If I lived near DC, or a city with a good public transportation system, I wouldn't HAVE to drive as much ... but do keep in mind that my job requires me to drive 60 hours a week.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: You moved literally to the opposite side of the world, and now you're moving back after less than a year? Did you get bitten by a kiwi, or something?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've put about 70,000 miles on my car in the (roughly) eight years I've had it. It's got about 110,000 on it in total.

(This reminds me that I need to change my oil and get a new air filter. And also put the inside of the driver's side doors back on, if I can find the right kind of plastic clips used to hold the plastic interior piece to the metal frame.)

(Well, actually, it doesn't, but it does provide me an excuse to contrast my hard country living in regards to automobile usage to y'all effete city folk.)

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Sol~

I drove my car around for a few weeks without any of the inside door panels... it was a nightmare, 'cause it was SOOOO cold outside, and there's pretty much no insulation in the thing once you take those off. Ick. I got a new stereo installer after that though, so I haven't had that problem since... this one is much more reliable.. and talented... and it doesn't TAKE him a few weeks to put in new speakers... which is a huge bonus in my world. [Razz]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the panels are still there. They just aren't attached, in the technical sense of the word, and one must be gentle when opening or closing them.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps