Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Whither Spike? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Whither Spike?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I voted today too.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and even with the percentage drop, Flare still has to declare for Internet Explorer. Unless there are some absentee browsers still to be counted. . .

*Has been watching FAR too much CNN

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have to use IE half the time because Firefox does not like running on my Dad's computer for some obscure reason. Plus I can't really change the browser around at school...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Spike's new board and PMed him. He said he left over the IE thing and implied he would return when "it" was over.

It's over, right? Right?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, was there a big problem over people using IE, or were you just creating hysteria over nothing?

And don't you think that was a pretty sly thing to do?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can have my Internet Explorer when they pry it from my cold, dead hard drive.

Or for $5.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee:
quote:
but then I'm on the other side of the world and hardly use ICQ anymore.
Yeah I hate that too, when you're so far away you have to write in allcaps for people to hear you.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I went to Spike's new board and PMed him. He said he left over the IE thing and implied he would return when "it" was over.
That is the most utterly pathetic thing I have heard in ages. He left the board because of the simple fact that IE is an insecure piece of trash and a block of text on one page reminded him of this? Give me a fucking break.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Given that Nim and I have managed to be online at the same time about, ooh, once in the past six months, you'd think he'd appreciate how being ten to twelve time zones away from western Europe makes instant messaging rather hard)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people, like myself, still have to use MSIE6 due to the fact that most websites still function with IE6 and not with Mozilla. I had tried several, and each time, their rendering of certain sites I go to had me go back to IE in disgust. Having that message placed on there in big bold letters does nothing to change that rather than to irritate people, including myself, and possibly Spike. I did cut back on visiting this site when the message was up, but now it is gone, it is more comfortable.

Sure, I will admit that IE6 is a load of shit and they should have started on a IE7 long time ago, but alas, sometimes we really have no choice. Drilling that message in such a negative tone ("IE is a threat to the internet") really makes this place unwelcome.

I will only switch web browsers once I can visit those sites without any problems whatsoever.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Example?

Aside from my online banking which has a hard-coded check for IE (ironically) and WindowsUpdate, list some examples of these sites.

I might note that your choice to not use something less dangerous is not just affecting you, but everyone else that has to receive spam, worms, and whatnot if your computer does get infected. Unfortunately, the days of boot-sector viruses which really just affected the one person are long past.

I might also note that with today's computers that web browsers are not a binary choice. You can actually have both installed. *gasp*

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see those sites too.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're probably all nudie pay sites....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to a site that required IE, but I forget what it was now. I seem to remember needing to register with the website for some thing or another. My bank's online banking page works fine with Firefox.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The browser I used was Opera. It was more than 6 months ago that I tried it under pressure from some friends of mine. These are a sample of sites which did horrible rendering of those sites from when I tried it.

For starters, I had trouble logging into my online bank at http://pcfinancial.ca. It would always come back with an invalid password.

http://www.fborfw.com. All images were somehow pushed to the left.

http://www.scsu.ca/forum/. Top banner did not even display at all.

http://www.scar.toronto.edu/~src A friend put some cool graphic that would follow the cursor, but it would not show up on Opera. Also, another friend using Opera has just told me that the pull-menu bar on the left does not work on his browser for some reason. It works fine on IE.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com. Large spaces between text and pictures.

http://www.bigwhiteguy.com. Same, although in some areas, text gets pushed into the picture. This site has been revamped so I don't know if the problem still exists.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca. Blank. Also revamped, don't know if the problem still exists.

There are others, but I do not know if these problems are fixed at this point. Even if the rendering is corrected, I still may want to wait before actually switching.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps