Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Christmas decorations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Christmas decorations
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to fill my yard with those gnomes from "Invader Zim" and tell people they're Christmas elves.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decorate my Christmas with broken promises.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you could go to some craft store to find Thanksgiving related decorations. I typically wait until at least after Thanksgiving or to December 1st. But my family has never gone overboard on decorations either. Some lights around the outside of the house, mostly. I've always hated those tacky plastic light up yard decorations.

I think it's funny that people consider Christmas as a Christian holiday any more. For example some companies won't use images of Santa because they think Jews will bitch about the company being pro-Christian and not supporting them or something. Last time I checked, Santa and his reindeer weren't religious figures and there wasn't a Christmas tree in the manger where Jesus was born.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, who could ever suppose that Saint Nicholas was a religious figure...?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah, but I bet a quick poll on the streets would show that most people don't know that's where the name/image/whatever comes from.

"Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas...the birth of Santa?"
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I decorate my Christmas with broken promises.

Stop being teenagery.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was aiming for old grump.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Last time I checked, Santa and his reindeer weren't religious figures and there wasn't a Christmas tree in the manger where Jesus was born.

You should check again. The current American version of the story is the result of a mix of Saint Nicholas celebrations and many different older pagan myths. There's Roman, German, Scandivian, Dutch and Christian stuff all over the Christmas story.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, to be honest, none of that has any significance for the vast majority of people anymore. Santa doesn't equal religious myths and pagan stories. Santa = big fat bloke who brings you presents.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

But Hobbes' point was that people are scared that anything Christmas-related will be construed as a religious statement. And he tried to back that up with Santa as an example of a Christmas symbol that isn't religious.

Except that, whether people choose to think about it or not, he is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine used to work for a fencing company and made three razorwire wreaths for out doors.
I was in an apartment and the damn thing was too heavy to stay on the nail I hammered in so I had to drag it to the dumpster with a broom handle.

Looked really cool in aTim Burton kinda way though.

This year I plan on repeating my Thanksgiving plans: Work ten hours- take home $400.
(Happy Thanksgiving BTW, Flarites!)

Then I go online and blow half of it on Trek models, music and order a pizza.

Probabaly have to field some phone calls from family and the like as well as some "I've been thinking about you" calls from former relationships, relatives and bill collectors.

Percocet will come in handy for all that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Except that, whether people choose to think about it or not, he is.

He was originally, true. But now? In the same way that the majority of people can go through Christmas completely ignoring the religious aspect, I think you can do it with Santa, an icon that has not been directly tied to anything religious for at least half a century, and probably longer.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the british version is even more puzzling. "Father Christmas" sounds like a deputy to God, he's a Father but not THE Father.

I saw a statue of him once, in an english mall, I think it was Hamley's or Harrod's, he sat on a gigantic throne, dressed in white and blue, I seem to recall he had a crown but I'm not sure.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And out of his mouth proceeded a sharp two-edged sword?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I think that Father Christmas used to wear white and blue back in the dim and distant past. For the past 7 billion years though, he's been the same fat bloke with beard in white and red that the US have. I suspect Harrod's (or Hamley's) of trying too hard to be historically clever. Or someitnhg.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"In the same way that the majority of people can go through Christmas completely ignoring the religious aspect, I think you can do it with Santa, an icon that has not been directly tied to anything religious for at least half a century, and probably longer."

But that was my point. He didn't say that people ignore the religious aspect. He said that there wasn't one to begin with.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps