Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Christmas decorations (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Christmas decorations
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some quick gestation. I know she's all immaculate and everything, but I think we have to face the inescapable conclusion that the virgin mother had some serious stretch-marks.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the other option is that it took over thirteen months.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary was holding out for a rent-controlled manger.

Here's something to consider: If Mary was really a virgin at the time of Christ's conception, was she still one when he was born?

I mean, as far as public opinion was concerned, the cat's already out of the bag so....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Here's something to consider: If Mary was really a virgin at the time of Christ's conception, was she still one when he was born?"

According to Catholic dogma, yes. Although, that's something they got from a scripture called the Protevangelium of James. It's also where they came up with Mary's parents' names, and the idea that Joseph was already an old man when he married Mary. And yet, it also claims that Jesus was born in a cave outside of Bethlehem, but that doesn't seem to worry them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet: I see a hollywood re-telling in this scripture.
Jesus, having not had the benifit of a father, travels the world as a young man learning the skills that will lead him to his destiny.
Years later, a young man returns to his ancestral home, finds the cave and begins a one-man crusade against injustice.
Joseph can be played by Michael Caine.
We'll call it Jesus Begins, or possibly Jesus: Year One.

by the third or fourth sequel, we can establish a nice Dick Grayson/ Judas Iscariot vibe.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Jesus...travels the world as a young man learning the skills that will lead him to his destiny."

You should read Christopher Moore's book Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certain gnostic texts tell similar stories, if I recall. Or perhaps that's just the modern interpretation.

(That is, of Jesus traveling to, say, India or somewhere. That is to say, you can meet people who claim that Jesus went and studied Buddhism, which is probably not something explicitly described even in gnostic gospels.)

Of course, after making a point about the difference between the Immaculate Conception and Jesus' conception, I'm surprised Tim has let us go in this direction.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He's suffering from Stigmata-related blindness.

...or he's been out shopping and is still shell-shocked.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...I'm surprised Tim has let us go in this direction."

How so?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Because of Flare's strict adherence to church dogma and absolute ban on any sarcasm.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's because Tim's bulk blocks the way, forcing us to make a sizeable detour.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps