Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Just wondering about he-who-must-not-be-named. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Just wondering about he-who-must-not-be-named.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was just wondering just then - when can Shik start posting back on the board/go on the 'net again? Was it for a year - or two years - or like forever or what? Haven't heard any info about him - did he end up getting a job - when he got out he seemed pretty hard up for money/work things like that.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let that be a lesson to us all. If you're going to put your penis inside a child, make sure you don't use a computer at any point in the process.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...NOT a "child"... but a minor.

There's plenty of minors on death row- no children though.

There is a diffrence.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought that "minor" in the US meant "under-18".

So are there people aged 17 and under on death row? Fuck.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'll teach them not to commit crimes in the future!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
So are there people aged 17 and under on death row? Fuck.

Fortunately, not anymore. IIRC, there was a Supreme Court ruling just last week overturning the death sentences for anyone who'd committed their crime under the age of 18.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm against that notion myself (of anyone under 18 being automatically ineligible for death row).

In some cases, few weeks of age is all the diffrence between a cold-blooded killer getting the death sentence and life inprisonment.
(a death sentence is reserved for pre-meditation, the murder of a police officer or particularly henius murders- like killing for fun)

The ruling seems seems too cut and dry....too universal to be practical.

Really, I think that the death penalty sould only apply to minors in the most extreme circumstances
(not for instance to a 12 year-old psychopath, but definitely to a 17 year old gang-banger).

These kinds of mandatory sentencing guidelines really work against justice.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a life behind bars is more punishment than an execution.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That's rarely enough consolation for the families of victims though: why should a killer live while their victim's life was cut short?

Not that capital punishment in any way involves Shik....
I hope he's building models, living in a nice apartment and working at a good job.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: He's doing all right. He's got a job, and he's got an apartment. He attends all the stuff that's been laid out as a part of his probation. He socializes, so he's not isolated and totally on his own. His computer ban was, I believe, two years. I think he still has another year to go on it before its lifted.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
That's rarely enough consolation for the families of victims though: why should a killer live while their victim's life was cut short?

And what gives you the right to end their life in any event.

Not that this should turn into a discussion on how capital punishment is blatantly wrong, of course...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does that means he can't even be near a computer?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... just who is shik. Was he a member of flare?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

And what gives you the right to end their life in any event.

Depends on weither you buy the idea of the Death Penalty as a deterrent.

I dont, I just think some people dont deserve to live based on certain crimes.

In today's newspaper there's a story (waaaay in the back) on a former Rawandan military official that (as his plea bargain) pled guilty to one count of mass murder and was sentenced to six years in prison -for ordering the deaths of over a thousand people hiding in a church.
Six whole years... [Roll Eyes]

Obviously, justice is lacking for some crimes.

Annnnyway, Shikkie does indeed seem to be doing allright: he's working at a sportsbar and there are many hot women around.
Certainly seems that he's doing a lot better than any time in the past year or so. [Smile]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Um... just who is shik. Was he a member of flare?"

Yes, he was. Until he got arrested for repeatedly having sex with a sixteen-year-old he met on the Internet.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps