Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » SIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Possible $$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Possible $$)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Just saw this for the second time tonight and I must say it was awesome. Rather like Pulp Fiction with all pretense at reality taken out. And Mickey Rourke looking like Spencer Tracy on steroids. And Elijah Wood doing his best Hannibal Lecter impression. Yeah.

I never read the comics, (er...excuse me...graphic novels) but from what I hear the film follows them very closely. The production design was certainly quite impressive, akin to my beloved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow but yet completely of its own style---darker, grittier, and several helpings more badass. The cast was great. I wasn't exactly convinced that Bruce Willis was in his sixties, or that he looked any older after his character's eight years in prison, but that's pretty much my only gripe. (At first I was cynical at just how nimble Marv/Rourke was after being hit several times with the chick's car moving at what seemed like appreciable speed, but then I reminded myself that "hey, this is *not* reality!")

A friend of mine commented that the film made him "feel like going out and smoking cigarettes and killing people," with which I concurred. All in all I enjoyed it thoroughly. I get the impression that this summer will be a good one for movies, what with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Revenge of the Sith right around the corner. Now if Speilberg and Lucas could just get their asses in gear on the next Indiana Jones flick... [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, and company are all quite hot. Not to mention Clive Owen. Indeed. -MM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like it....except for three things:

They went to extreme lengths to make it true to the comics (down to reproducing the odd, clownish look of the Yellow Bastard and the makeup job on Mickey Rourke) but Miller draws his hookers...pretty "street looking" and not like the perfect supermodels of the film.

Jessica Alba's really crappy acting: she's being whipped with a fucking bullwhip but never loses her breath or breaks a sweat, then a few minutes later, she's fine as she drives away...

Bruce Willis' character's death: seemed kinds useless to me. Nothing says he could not have split town with "Cordillia" and started over somewhere new. As pointed out, he does not really age at all in eight years: neither does Powers Booth (some creative casting of has-been actors in this movie!)

I did love the movie overall though: particularly the middle part with (the very cool) Clive Owen and the hookers defending their turf and the hitman at the begining and end of the movie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about Jessica Alba's crappy acting... then again even I was distracted by the women in the film.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank's lesbian parole officer was the most bueatiful woman in the movie...possibly in recorded history.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The topless lesbian parole officer... makes some of my straight friends want to be cuffed by her and my lesbian friends want to be naughty.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Awww yeah.

She actually looks a lot like a girl I used to be (platonically) tight with: she did the fetish parties and her sister was a dominatrix.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The official party line.

Or, I guess, what I wrote about the movie.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this movie... Sin City. Elijah's in it? Based on comics?? Anyone give me a plot run-down?

I was flipping through a movie magazine today - there's a lot of good/big movies coming out this year!!

Star Wars, Kingdom of Heaven, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... a few others I can't remember.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angry people murder each other a lot, and prostitute ninjas cut up Benicio Del Toro.

Also, it is awesome.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What could be better?

The movie is based closely on three of Frank Miller's graphic novels.
I can only recall two of their titles: The Dame Wore Red and That Yellow Bastard.
No clue what the story with the hookers is called.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Uh, Sin City.

Though I guess he retroactively gave it a subtitle. I'm just going from IMDB reports, here, though.

It's three of the collections plus a short story.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill, and The Yellow Bastard.

While Spider-Man maybe a great comic book movie, Sin City feels like you're actually watching a comic book.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Star Wars, Kingdom of Heaven, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... a few others I can't remember.
Don't Forget War of the Worlds
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, forget War of The Worlds.

So awesome. I liked the Marv story best. I like it the best of the graphic novels so far too. Though I'd hope that "A Dame To Kill For" might be included were there to be a sequel.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Sin City about a week ago, and I really enjoyed it. I think it dragged in a couple places (especially the middle of "The Hard Goodbye"), but it pretty tight (as the kids are wont to say nowadays). I really enjoyed the visual style of the film. I liked the comic book effect and the use of black and white with just a hint of color in places. It made an impact on me.

I didn't realize Marv was played by Mickey Rourke until the credits ran. The makeup artist did a good job on him. I think he did a pretty good job; he managed to play the character just over-the-top enough without making it cheesy. Elijah Wood was really, really creepy as Kevin. It's kind of amusing; he had no lines and most of his screentime was just standing or sitting there looking creepy, but he pulled it off. I was also entertained by the militant prostitutes (both for their parts and their, ahem, parts).

I liked The Salesman being bookends to the movie. The first scene with Hartigan and Bob on the dock was kind of awkward, but after he punched Bob out it was better. I got a little of the ick factor going with some of the gore (Lucille's stump, Kevin's dismemberment, and Hartigan ripping off Yellow Bastard's genitals), but it didn't detract that much from everything else.

I think my favorite segment was "The Big Fat Kill". There's just something cool about militant prostitutes. I liked Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, Alexis Bledel, and Devon Aoki the most in this. I kinda felt that Michael Duncan Clarke and Brittany Murphy were wasted in this part of the movie. Oh, yeah, Benecio Del Toro was pretty cool was a corpse and bodiless head.

Overall, yeah, good flick. I'm in love with Alexis Bledel now. I may just have to start watching Gilmore Girls. Maybe.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps