Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » SIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Possible $$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Possible $$)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devon Aoki .....(drool)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ick! Seriously.

Carla Gugino, OTOH...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is this movie accessible for someone who has NEVER heard of said comic book?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Most of my friends thta love the movie had never read any of the comics (or even heard of them for that matter).

How can you not love Devon Aoki?
She's bueatiful and she kills a whole lotta people without ever changing facial expression?

Nothing's sexier than a blonde asian woman with a mean streak.

Except mabye if she had jet black hair....with a mean streak. [Cool]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Like I said, I'd never read the comics, and it was still very enjoyable. They didn't include everything, but for the stories they *did* use they pretty much followed the books panel by panel, so you're not missing anything important. It's all self-explanatory.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Plus: Devon Aoki!
(Did I mention she's hot?)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What The Mighty Monkey of Mim said. I had heard of the Sin City graphic novels before (thanks to some documentary on comic books that included a long segment on Frank Miller), but I had never read them or looked into them. The movie's easy to follow, but there is some timeframe jumping going on (similar to Pulp Fiction but not as extreme (sidenote: Quentin Tarantino guest directed one of the scenes in the movie)).

Also, to disagree with Jason: Alexis Bledel is the hottest of the prostitutes.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There! Now it premiered in Sweden. Damn incomplete global movie-release synchronization.

I have to say that I went in with a few preconcieved notions and grudges, I haven't liked Clive Owen the last couple of years (except for Bourne Identity) and I didn't know what to expect from it, though my gut feeling told me I'd like it since I thought of "Max Payne" when watching the trailer.

Anyway, it helped that my sister-in-law disliked the movie, specifically the "sexism" and gore of the movie (as if Rodriguez and Miller didn't deliberately infuse it with that to make it sinny) which made me really think about why I liked it.

I've seen a lot of things in my life and it takes a lot for a movie to groce me out, so when it happens I actually enjoy and respect it.
I felt I could allow myself to let the gratification appeal to me (especially since I'd payed for it and the movie had in it all the genres I enjoy except Renaissance satire).

Anyway, about the barriers. Seeing Marv's parole officer's arm-stump and realizing what she was talking about ("He made me look!") was a real slap in the face, as was Willis' nutjob on Yellowguy. I've never seen a prostate before. It was so out there that I had to laugh appreciately at the sheer gall of showing it.

Rourke and Del Toro were spot-on in their deliveries, I must say.

There were some things I didn't get, though. I hoped someone could help me out with that.

First of all, why did that hitman go after the blue-eyed hooker in the end? What was his story? It felt very hazy.

Michael Madsen's character, why did he try to talk Willis out of going in to save the girl in the beginning? I thought about it and he couldn't have been "on the payroll" since he left Willis alive and greeted him after he got out of jail, so why on earth would he shoot his partner a bunch of times when the same had only slightly knocked him unconscious?

The third question is a bit more open-ended, perhaps. Do the characters of Sin City have superpowers? I mean confirmed ones? Are they mutants or unnaturally gifted?
Or was it just that this was a queer universe with special occurrences and styles that exist in a bubble, separated from mainstream action movies?

I was disappointed that Christopher Walken was so underused, only 3 seconds during some stiff, plot-establishing shots. All through the last half of the movie I thought "Aah, and there is still some Walken-stough to come, I haven't seen everything yet!".

I haven't seen "The Hitchhiker" but I imagine that scene in the movie must be the best scene of Rutger Hauer's whole career. He was more believable and deep than in Blade Runner, where I always felt he acted and talked like a child (I know, technically he was, but still).

I too felt the Willis-suicide felt like a sort of copout, though I wasn't that surprised after all the shit I'd seen previously. Funny that he gave in to Alba's kissing, that "Sin"-theme really stays through the movie.

The Nazi-Hitman-With-Impaling-Arrow was a surprise, real honest-to-fuck comedy relief suddenly, and so late in the movie too. He was really good with his lines and timing, the audience loved it.

Another thing, isn't Sin City supposed to be an unnamed and non-existing town, only created to house the extreme and Film Noiry characters and stories shown there?
Why then add those tar pits with dino statues, which IIRC are a trademark of Hollywood, Los Angeles?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
First of all, why did that hitman go after the blue-eyed hooker in the end? What was his story? It felt very hazy.
Best as I can tell, there isn't much story to Josh Hartnett's character. He's just a hitman-for-hire. As for why he goes after Becky (Alexis Bledel, the blue-eyed hooker), I think he was hired by Gail (Rosario Dawson, the leader of the hookers) to kill Becky since she was the one that sold out the hookers to Manute (Michael Duncan Clarke, the corrupt police commander).

quote:
Michael Madsen's character, why did he try to talk Willis out of going in to save the girl in the beginning? I thought about it and he couldn't have been "on the payroll" since he left Willis alive and greeted him after he got out of jail, so why on earth would he shoot his partner a bunch of times when the same had only slightly knocked him unconscious?
I was under the impression that Bob (Madsen's character) was on the Roark payroll. He seemed to know a lot about what was going on with the serial little girl rapist/murderer (Roark Jr.). In addition, I think Bob genuinely liked and had a friendship with Hartigan (Bruce Willis); that's why he tried to convince Hartigan to not go after Roark Jr. In the end, Bob had to sell out his friend (setting him up as the little girl rapist/murderer) to protect his boss's only son. That's why he shot to wound instead of just knocking him out or shooting to kill.

quote:
The third question is a bit more open-ended, perhaps. Do the characters of Sin City have superpowers? Are they mutants or unnaturally gifted? Or was it just that this was a queer universe with special occurrences and styles that exist in a bubble, separated from mainstream action movies?
I'll go with the queer universe theory and say that, simply, biology and physics are a different beast there. Anime/cartoon/comic book rules of the universe apply to Sin City, thus fatal wounds aren't, fatal falls aren't, and superhuman reflexes are the norm for the central characters.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher Walken?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, I missed Walkin if he's in there and I saw it twice.

The second time around, Jessica Alba's crappy acting is noticiby distracting.
She's just a nice piece of ass with no acting ability- that bodes ill for the Fantastoc Four movie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears I saw Walken's name some time in the preceding trailers to the film, he actually wasn't in there I see now. I think I thought it was him when Marv talked about the fatcats who run the town, when we see a short clip of Rutger Hauer soundlessly orate to the masses in his church-hat.

Siegfried: Your three conclusions sound very right and logical, I will go with that.

Ah! Just watched imdb and there is indeed a sequel slated for 2006, though it has no info in it yet.

Hope we see some of that famed "mafia" and yet more hookers. Gretchen Mol needs the money, mehe mehe.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, er, not to be a total sexist misogynist perv or whatever (er, ooops), but what is it with actresses playing strippers who do not take off their clothes? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for chasteness and modesty (everything in moderation). But I'm thinking if you're casting (or cast in) a role wherein the character's occupation more or less revolves around taking off her clothes, well then maybe you might expect the film to portray a little nudity. And stuff.

Ignore me. I'm bitter and grumpy tonight. Carla Gugino remains.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The movie would indeed have been better with all the prostitutes nekked as well.

Plus...Devon Aoki!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Everyone should have been naked in that movie.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps