Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Next Pope selected (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Next Pope selected
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aban: didn't mean for that to be taken as hostile if it appeared so. Sorry if it came across wrong.

We'll hear lots more about this. Well, actually, we already are!

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...street cred for fighting radical materialistic secularism, militant relativism..."

You throw the words "radical" and "militant" around like you want to say something about secularism and relativism, but I don't see much substance of non-creepy-fundamentalist tone behind them, counsel.

Also, the last person to seriously refer to the Soviet Union as "the evil empire" died a while back.

Simon, we're headed for a fall.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think we're heading towards a wave of social conservatism as the world comes to realize that all these ominous-sounding technological developments we hear about in the news have essentially happened already, and the fact that we are living in a world where our historical models no longer apply will, perversely, encourage us to grab hold of those models even more tightly.

That, and the Flameboard. (Not because of the nature of this thread's discourse, but these sorts of grand questions are more its style.)

Or possibly a secret space war.

(It's flattering to think that our concerns are unique, and that our historical models really are broken in ways that prior eras' were not, but I do not pretend to know if this is actually the case, and I am always wary of, like, chronocentrism. At any rate the Catholic Church has weathered fierce storms of technosocial change before.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps