Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Next Pope selected (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Next Pope selected
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But no name yet

Well, either a new pope's been selected, or the Cardinals have sighted a herd of buffalo.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think it's Ratzinger (sp?)?

Papal Robes... Chamber of Tears... I love how closely this whole process follows scriptural precedent.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Pope Benedict XVI.

A German taking over from a Pole. And they say history doesn't repeat itself... [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next he'll go and see some Sea Lions with Barbarossa.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what made them choose him, since he was the one least likely to win in the latest diagram I saw on ze subject.

Thoguts?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was speculation that they would elect an "old" pope that will have a short papacy and serve as a transitional one for the next pope who will be a radical departure from John Paul II. Or something like that.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Ratzinger was the leading candidate to be the next Kai all along. From what my coworker tells me he's uberConservative and fairly obnoxious.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't figure that out either. An 84 year old pope dies and they elect an 78 year old one? Brillant!

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No surprise at all. Ratzinger is very conservative and will continue to support and defend church doctrine.

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the most powerful German since Hitler, then. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you consider the pope powerful... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim: not so much that he was unlikely to win so much as his short suit being relations with Islam and ecumenism, both critical problems for the church right now. However, he has a lot of long suits to match: street cred for fighting radical materialistic secularism, militant relativism, and experience in cleaning up the church's hierarchy. (On the latter, his latest task was working on the sex abuse scandels. Expect to see him going at the filth there very quickly.)

Topher: correct on a short papacy. B16 has a family history of heart problems, and he's 78. The odds are very against a 20 year pontificate. However, with medical technology getting so good, I think the idea some people have a 5-10 year one ought to consider a strong possibility of a 10-15 year one.

Aban: obnoxious if you mean he won't back down on core teachings that the church is simply not going to give way on (however you feel on them). The man himself, though, is said to be pretty humble. Very academic. He wrote only about 190 books (yes, one hundred ninety; I have to check on the exact figure). I only learned yesterday he had been begging JP2 for years to let him resign as Prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. The late pope would not allow it.

Topher (again): powerful office indeed. JP2 had a hand in bringing down the evil empire. Although taking down Darth Brehnev and his successors, perhaps he should have been called Jedi Master Karwo Kawad. [Wink]

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith."

Until last century, known as "the Holy Office of the Inquisition". No joke.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I didn't mean anything by it. Those were the words of the coworker I mentioned. I have zero knowledge of the man and very little more interest.

I also don't understand how the leader of a church can be so heavily involved in politics and still claim to be following Christian teaching. But this isn't in the Flameboard, so I digress... [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
If you consider the pope powerful... [Roll Eyes]

Considering his words will be able to influence the beliefs of 1 billion Catholics...yeah, that's pretty powerful.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps