Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » London Underground explosion(s) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: London Underground explosion(s)
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it's not like the Iraq War had much to do with this. The sheer hatred of al-Qeada and the like for western civilisation made it pretty much inevitable that there was going to be an attack here.

What really would have helped is a PM who was able to resist the urge to be economical with the truth and come up with a convincing case for war with Saddam. Which would not exactly have been difficult.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to visit this magic wonderland of yours in which "the average person's" viewpoint on "anything" is actually informed and doesn't originate with Fox News in any way.

Plus, the US'd likely be the first to ignore that resolution, so...

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents were in London. Their first reaction to the news after the requisite "Gawd, that's a tube stop we were going to take today--WE COULD HAVE BEEN ON THAT TRAIN!" was "aww crap, this is more or less our (the USA's) fault." After some initial terror for my parent's safety, I too felt that in some way that the provocative policies toward terror that the regime of my nation has been pursuing must be at least partly responsible. It's an awful feeling.

Part of me wants to believe that Al Queda would have eventually gotten around to something like this, that the attitude and actions of our President and armed forces have only advanced the timetable. But part of me knows that's bollocks.

I'll be meeting them in Paris next week. Maybe I'll just pretend to be Canadian again.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I doubt that U.S. policies in Iraq have helped anyone anywhere, Britain wasn't exactly smoothly sailing through the straits of Islamic extremism prior to 2002.

NYT article.

quote:
Although Britain has passed a series of antiterrorist and immigration laws and made nearly 800 arrests since Sept. 11, 2001, critics have charged that its deep tradition of civil liberties and protection of political activists have made the country a haven for terrorists.
Clearly the solution is to turn the West into a series of totalitarian nightmares so that not even terrorists will want to immigrate there.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps