Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » General noise advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: General noise advice
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just moved into a new place, and from our hallway you can hear the alarm from next door's house constantly bleeping. It sounds like instead of setting the alarm, the person has done something stupid like set it up to have the number changed, but then not changed it. So it bleeps. Constantly. 24 hours a day.

I've asked a person who used to live here and he said that they've mentioned the problem to them several times and they apologise, but don't fix it. And, since they're studends, they're now gone from the summer. So it goes on all the time. It's not excessively loud, but it is constant and I can hear it in my room if I'm trying to sleep.

Any ideas on what can be done? I'm mainly thinking of sensible advice, not "break into their house and smash the place up to teach them for not putting up their alarm correctly". Could I phone the council and claim that I've just moved in and I can hear the alarm coming from the property next door, which seems completely empty?

Lee, doesn't your wonderful wife know about legal stuff like this?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you're living in an apartment situation. I would say you should definitely be able to phone the landlords and politely complain about it. I don't know if there's anything they can do about it, but in the States, I believe landlords have the right to enter an apartment under certain circumstances. If the noise can be heard at night and outside their apartment, it's likely a violation of their rental agreement.

If that doesn't work, I can recommend a great brand of earplugs.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not completely clear what you're referring to. Is this a security alarm, an alarm clock, what? Failing all else, even if the landlord can't enger the apartment, given that they're gone you could maybe get their power shut off...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's a terraced house, not an apartment. I have no idea who the landlord is next door.

It's not an alarm clock. It's the security (house) alarm. It's not going off as such, but if you've ever used one then you know that it tends to make a beeping noise just after you've entered the code, telling you that you've got about 10 seconds to leave the house before the alarm activates. Well, it's that bleeping noise, and it doesn't stop ever.

It's not hugely loud, but it is aggrivating.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such thoughtless stupidity, unfortunately requires you to break into their home and trash it to teach them a lesson. Or at the very least, to rip the security panel off the wall.

I doubt the Police would do anything (about the noise that is, not the breaking and entering). They can't be going into people's homes because their neighbors ask them to. If there's a town council or something... maybe? It might violate a noise ordinance.

Or... how about this: Phone the Police and tell them you heard their alarm making noises last night that it sounded like it shouldn't be making. Perhaps they will investigate and turn it off. You wouldn't even be lying.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice: get a meat slicer.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call the power company, pretend to be them, cancel the account.

Enjoy the silence.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Or... how about this: Phone the Police and tell them you heard their alarm making noises last night that it sounded like it shouldn't be making. Perhaps they will investigate and turn it off. You wouldn't even be lying.

That's what I was thinking. You can't really hear it all the time, just when you stand in the hallway, or in my room when there are no other sounds in the house. Which is, unfortunatly, when I'm trying to sleep. And I'm one of those people who cannot block out sounds at all. So I might phone the local police department and tell them that I've just moved in and there's an alarm coming from next door.

Either that or get a job working for the power company and arrange a city wide power cut for a couple of minutes.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a long post written then my cunting browser just shut down. Call the noise team (look for them on the council website, probably part of the environmental health dept), get them to come out tonight and hear what it's like. They can contact the landlord and get him to sort it out.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try placing a London Underground sign on the doorway. It will eventually take care of the problem.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea would be to obtain a small pack of squirrels, and then set them loose near the neighborhood's power transformer. Inevitably, one of them will try to get into the transformer, providing you with a brief power outage that'll reset the alarm. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just form the circus troupe Liam And His Amazing Trained Squirrels, make a lot of money, and move.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try sueing them under the european Human Rights act. Of course, that could get a little expensive. Not to mention being a little excessive.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

What's the London Underground?

Here's my guess: It has something to do with homeless people and/or shady types who will se the sign, begin squatting at the home, and eventually detroy everything including the alarm panel.

(More important than assessing my guess... was my use of the term "squatting" correct? Because it would mean something far different in the States.)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an underground railroad for the paupers, proles, and slave-laborers otherwise trapped or lost in London.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps