Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » General noise advice (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: General noise advice
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Helsinki, we have the pub tram - a cheerfully red old 100-cm-track car that goes round and round the city's extensive tramline network, has four conveninently placed regular stops and the option for chartering, and offers a broad range of alcoholic drinks, loud music, and sanitary services (the law on beverages rights for restaurants specifies a minimum requirement of one toilet per pub).

We also have a subway system that offers a broad range of alcoholic drinks and loud music on certain nights, but it's up to the passengers to produce those. Sanitary services consist of easily washable plastic seats.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
it's really clean, virtually noiseless, always on time and absolutely no one uses it.

Which would likely be why it's clean and noiseless. I think I would view such a city service as an little-known treasure and do my best to keep it under wraps.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it gets used a lot at morning and evening rush hours- it's just empty the rest of the time.

There were plans to radicly expand it all the way up to the Hollywood/Ft. lauderdale area (thus relieving much traffic congestion) but everything from hurricnes to corrupt city councilmen have killed that notion for years.

Looks cool though- the downtown section has multicolored neon running along the side of the track.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politicians are the suck. Blarg to them, I say.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the reasons Londoners adapted so quickly to the events of 7/7 is we are used to the London underground breaking down and not working for days at a time. Although having someone other than track repairs companies trying to kill us was a novelty.
Best tube rounts in Summer during rush hour:
Central line from Stratford to Holburn.
Northern line between Highgate and Oval, either route
hammersmith&City from bakerstreet to west ham
District between West ham and Temple
Picadilly though Kings Cross.
Waterloo & City
DLR (technically not the tube) though Canary wharf.

Going to the original issue, can you cut or get cut the power to the flat? The alarm's batteries I'm sure won't last that long..

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not unless I climb up the local electricity pylon with a pair of scissors. It's not a flat. It's the house that we share a wall with.

I'm going to phone up the council. As soon as I remember to.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they've not set the alarm properly, doesn't that mean that their house insurance isn't valid?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam: So, what happened? (If anything)

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
My advice: get a meat slicer.

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing - but just make sure they don't have a cat with an automatic feeder! [Smile] Or your heel is uneven or the guy across the hall has a lot of potatoes! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some old people who apparently owned the property turned up yesterday. I politely explained that their alarm was going off. They generously explained that it had to beap all the time when it was turned on. I firmly explained that I could hear it in my room when trying to sleep. They caringly shrugged their shoulders and stared at me. So I went inside and cursed their name.

I've also found out that, because one of the sensors is malfunctioning, our alarm constantly bleeps when it is turned on. And it's quite loud. I might be evil.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They generously explained that it had to beap all the time when it was turned on.
Tell them to put some black electrical tape over the annunciator, or have the alarm company programme it to not make the noise while it is on. Surely there is an option in the software for turning it off.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just get your own alarm (clock) and let it beep all night outside their room.

Just set it off on nights you go out.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shrimp shells inside the curtain rods. Works for years.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps