Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Need tech help RIGHT THE FRELL NOW (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Need tech help RIGHT THE FRELL NOW
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, everything crashes, even if I do manage to get into Windows, which I no longer can. Given that with the new processor, Memtest finds errors, and with the old processor it doesn't, I'm leaning towards there being something wrong with the processor. But it could still be the power supply. Multimeter, multimeter, who's got the multimeter...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new power supply would be much cheaper than a new processor. Glad you got your data out. I don't know shit (shazbot) about XP, but for Win2K having a Windows Rescue Disk can make a big difference towards any rescue efforts. For those who might know, baring major system glitches like a faulty processor, would clean-installing XP onto a second drive (or just using a trusted friend's machine running XP allow him access enough to copy the data?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Provided he hasn't passworded his account, yes. Of course, if there's something wrong with his CPU then sticking in a second drive won't help. Never mind that adding a second hard drive to a laptop is hardly the easiest of procedures.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Are you sure it was Windows Explorer saying that message, and not some other piece of software (like a registry cleaner)?

And what do you mean by "you inserted the original Windows CD and it copied stuff"? Did you actually do a repair installation, like this:

Boot the computer using the XP CD. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you DO NOT want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

You could also do worse than checking the temperature of your machine. Although as Spring will have only just started down there that's unlikely to be a problem.

Once you've done that try using Explorer again. And if the message comes up take a screenshot and post it here.

Well yes I inserted the disk. I THINK I pressed 'r'. Nothing happened anyway. As I said after 4 days I came back and the computer is working - not as it DID - there are some glitches here and there.

It's not too hot here at the moment. Just to be safe, I've left the side panel off - where there were two fans (I've taped up the live 'power' for each of the little fans.

Oh when I did get back on the computer - it said "windows has suffered a major error" and it wanted to said info on it. It was like "page dump found in pagedump.exe" something about a kernal too. I think.

Anyway I'm glad it's working again. It is time for a new computer. The only thing I haven't managed to copy off the computer are all my e-mails in Outlook.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting a brand new computer just because Windows crashed once is light buying a new car just because you've got a flat tyre.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*waits*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

My car is old!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Getting a brand new computer just because Windows crashed once is light buying a new car just because you've got a flat tyre.

Oh I have brand new cars littered across the yard with flat tyres, locked seatbelts, airconditioning set too cold and the what-not. I just buy new ones.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? You think just because we're total Mac-enthusiasts that we'd want to share that beauty with you? Well no. It's not like that. It's ours now. You can all go fuck off with your crashy-crashy Windows. We've iPod nanos and such to play with.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I was wondering what Lee was talking about, but now I have to acknowledge him as the powerup winner.

Andrew: Y'see, if Michael had said that I'd probably have believed him.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

[Smile]

Speaking of Macs... the Mac in the lab next door just stopped working the otherday. (we use PCs). Funny, it was just after the lab-head next door was telling me how reliable Macs are. Thing just won't start - I'm guessing a power supply problem? Poor Honours student has all his data analysis on there.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their support people are very nice though.

Speaking of waiting - my "vintage" Mac cube is out wandering the scary hurricane riddled streets in a brown van driven by a man in matching brown shorts right now. I'm somewhat concerned. But when it shows up I'll have dual new CPU goodness. Or perhaps my own frelling post.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also speaking of Macs, does anyone know what it means when my mini's AC adaptor starts buzzing?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

1/ That question has nothing to do with Macs.

2/ I have no idea. Although the phrase "it can't be good" does come screaming to mind.

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac. ipod or Cooper Mini?

Their support people are nice though.

Actually I have no idea about the Cooper people - maybe they should have stuck making barrels.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps