Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Need tech help RIGHT THE FRELL NOW (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Need tech help RIGHT THE FRELL NOW
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that general problem with my ATI 9700 AIW... complete lockup when rendering anything 3D.

Ended up replacing the card with a plain 9800 Pro.

Also, irt the rest of the topic: WTF?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to through in one, then.

I currently have a ATI 9600. An XT I think, or whatever the cutdown version is. It's a bit underpowered for reviewing games. I don't mind playing stuff at 800 x 600, but all the screenshots have to be 1024 x 768 minimum. So I was going to upgrade, and probably spend about �150. However, a mate has offered me a 6600gt for under �50. Getting together the �150 for abig upgrade would be quite a bit, but would the 6600gt offer a noticable performance increase on my current card? And is it worth it? It's an AGP one, and it's apparently "heat-pipe cooled". Ooh, exciting.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I was under the impression that the 9600LE was cheaper than the SE, which was the cheapest version anyone had ever heard of. I can run at 1280x1024 smoothly with anything I've cared to try. About the only thing I'd be worried about would be Homeworld 2. Are you sure it's your video card that's the bottleneck?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably the SE version, come to think about it.

Something else could be the bottleneck, I suppose. I've got a 2800+ Athlon XP and 512mb RAM (which will be 768 by this time next week). How new are the games you're running. Because review games tend to be, y'know, brand new. I was playing Sniper Elite yesterday, and while it was okay most of the time, any sort of action knocked the framerate down to about 10-13 fps. What games are you playing? I haven't played Homeworld 2 yet, but it can't be more CPU and GPU intensive than, say, Half-Life 2, can it?

(Plus, I really should be playing everything with the details turned way up, in order to get the prettiest screenshots.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps