Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » One of those "Star Trek technology in real life??!!" posts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: One of those "Star Trek technology in real life??!!" posts
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minus the ??!!

US military sets laser PHASRs to stun

quote:
The Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response (PHASR) rifle was developed at the Air Force Research Laboratory in New Mexico, US, and two prototypes have been delivered to military bases in Texas and Virginia for further testing.

The US Department of Defense (DoD) believes the weapon could be used, for example, to temporarily blind suspects who drive through a roadblock. However, the DoD has yet to reveal details of how the laser works and has yet to respond to New Scientist�s requests for further information.

Laser weapons capable of blinding enemies have been developed in the past but were banned under a 1995 UN convention called the Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons. The wording of this protocol, however, does not prohibit lasers that temporarily dazzle a foe.

(I guess if this trends towards the ethical implications we can wander over to the Flameboard, if we feel we need to.)

((I probably wouldn't have mentioned this if it was just the name, but check out that photo.))

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want a few of those.

Can't blind them with brillance, dazzle them with your PHASR.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa! That..., uh..., gun? rifle? weapon! looks more "sci-fi" than most weapons we see in actual sci-fi movies and series.

B.J.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just check out the Stunstrike online . . . it and the PHASR are going to have to compete for the title of "Weapon Most Resembling a Trek Stunt Double's Carved Rubber Weapon".

But I do like how the people who make the Stunstrike added random heat sinks to their green laser pointer dazzler thing, thereby giving it a Forbidden Planet look.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one mighty big and expensive fleshlite.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...did we not sign a ban on laser weapons of just this sort under Clinton's administration?

The fear was that just these same sort of lasers would be used to permanatly blind a military force/civillians- leading to troop attrition wile the maimed are tended to.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weapon could be used to temporarily blind suspects who drive through a roadblock? That's not the greatest idea ever. Blinding a driver at the wheel of a 2000 pound automobile is like giving an M-16 to a five year old and telling him to play cops and robbers with old lady johnson down yonder...

Other than that it looks frickin sweet.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they could mount speakers and play "Blinded by the light" as they crash through...well...everything.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the irony wouldn't be lost on the poor blinded bastard

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon it works by having some guy aim it and then 'the enemy' goes WOAH! COOL! and puts down THEIR weapon to come over and have a look. [Smile]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Er...did we not sign a ban on laser weapons of just this sort under Clinton's administration?

If only someone would give us a hint.

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Laser weapons capable of blinding enemies have been developed in the past but were banned under a 1995 UN convention called the Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

ooh! I thought of another good (bad) example of how this weapon may be used to stop terrorists while casuing untold havoc and destruction.

A terrorist hijacks a plane and intends to fly it into the Empire state building. Sounds familiar huh? tho it's been done but not on purpose (1945 a b-25 crashed into the ESB in heavy fog) The "Good Guys" fire this "Phasr" at the terrorists in the cockpit, blinding them and causing them to veer off course...Into 3 Mile Island. President Bush is then praised for his handling of the situation and saving thousands of lives. But he conveniently fails to mention the deadly radioactive isotopes flooding the american northeast causing untold millions of deaths 20 years from now. But he doesn't care since he won't be president then...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or what if next we are invaded by aliens, only to find out they have no eyes?? Come on DARPA, let's be more realistic here.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the very least they should get rid of the 733t spelling.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or what if next we are invaded by aliens, only to find out they have no eyes??"

Perhaps they would be allergic to water??

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps