Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » One of those "Star Trek technology in real life??!!" posts (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: One of those "Star Trek technology in real life??!!" posts
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you could probably just buy a user-friendly shoulder-mounted SAM for the same price, if not cheaper.

(And now to reinstall Alpha Centauri.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think perhaps you are assuming perfect collimation. Which most lasers (and certainly laser pointers) lack. So there would be some spread giving a coherent hooligan, say, a 1 meter diameter beam at, say, 4 km."

Well, sure. But, at that point, it's hardly a "laser beam" in any meaningful sense, is it? More like a flashlight, I would think.

Or not. I don't really know the intimate details of radiation-emission-based stimulation of light amplification, personally.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it feasible/possible to have any sort of visible 'beam' weapon like a phaser or a laser-blaster... I mean we have lasers now but you have to have dust or smoke etc to see it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's no dust reflecting the light, then no, you're not going to see anything along the beam. In order to see it, you have to have something emitting light, and that implies something other than a pure light beam. If you could somehow spray a beam of charged plasma, I'm sure that could fit the bill.

B.J.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But I doubt it would cause serious eye damage. It would likely just be really irritating and distracting."

Still if whoever was being irritated and distracted...say oh a pilot on final aproach (sp) who needed to concentrate a lot... While I do admit that using a handheld laser pointer probably wouldn't do much, what about a more powerful laser like a surveyers laser tripod thingamajig. or maybe even just use a pair of old WW2 Searchlights at the end of the runway and face them at the cockpit. I'm sure if those terrorists had any form of ingenuity and imagination other than bombs and guns. They could do alot of damage. I'd go into detail but the CIA's probly has tabs on this site. And I've already hinted at killing the president so they're probably just waiting for me to step outside my apartment to take me off and reprogram me to love the president or something.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely keeping a laser pointed at a man's eyes while he flies a plane would be nearly impossible. It'd be hard enough keeping a laser pointed on someone's eyes if he was running fast, but on a vehicle travelling as fast as an aircraft? Impossible I would have thought.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For fun and learning, Army Field Manual 8-50, "Prevention and Medical Management of Laser Injuries."
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And FWIW, a surveyor's laser tripod thingamajig as you put it only works in pulses when you're measuring distance.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it still blind someone if they were looking straight at it? I'd think a pulsing laser light would be even more annoying and distracting than a regular beam.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It only sends a pulse when you tell it to measure the distance. And it doesn't send a visible laser, I don't think. I've used the total station and held the reflector, and I don't remember seeing a red light or anything.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
I'd go into detail but the CIA's probly has tabs on this site. And I've already hinted at killing the president so they're probably just waiting for me to step outside my apartment to take me off and reprogram me to love the president or something.

Heheheh, Re-Neducation? [Smile]
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Surely keeping a laser pointed at a man's eyes while he flies a plane would be nearly impossible. It'd be hard enough keeping a laser pointed on someone's eyes if he was running fast, but on a vehicle travelling as fast as an aircraft? Impossible I would have thought.

Distance and angle would play a major part.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could also be a slit beam thing- like for lightshows.

I think thay're just making an example of this bozo. Still, imagine all the prep work he had to do to get the beam into the cockpit- then to keep adjusting to keep it there...

I wont cry if he gets a legal smack for his stupidity.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps