Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Epsilon... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Epsilon...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tropical storm Epsilon has now formed. When does the season end and how many more letters do you think will they get through?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The AP reports that the storm season ends Wednesday, 30 November 2005.

quote:
Tropical Storm Epsilon Forms in Atlantic

The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 30, 2005; 4:37 AM

MIAMI -- The Atlantic hurricane season ends Wednesday, but Tropical Storm Epsilon could still cause dangerous surf conditions in Bermuda, forecasters said.

Epsilon, the 26th named storm of the busiest hurricane season on record, formed Tuesday in the central Atlantic. It was not expected to hit Bermuda or any other land, according to forecasters at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

At 4 a.m. EST, Epsilon had top sustained winds of near 50 mph. It could strengthen over warm ocean waters before hitting cooler waters that should cause it to weaken, forecasters said. Surf conditions in Bermuda could become dangerous during the next few days, they said.

It was centered about 725 miles east of Bermuda and about 1,520 miles west of the Azores Islands. It was moving west at about 7 mph.

The Atlantic hurricane season lasts for six months.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point, I would think that the weather service is reevaluating their naming system. As it stands now, they have sets of names they use, and if a large enough hurricane occurs (like Katrina), that name is retired. Once they use up all those names and get into the Greek letters, those can't really be retired. I'm not expecting to see another storm season like this for a while, but obviously it can happen.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. With the current state of the world environment added to the fact that the December earthquake and subsequent tsunami's changed the axial tilt of the earth slightly. Next years storm season will be just as bad if not worse. But that's just my opinion. I guess we'll have to wait a year to see. Maybe by then New Orleans will be back on track just in time for hurricane Flare to wipe it off the face of the earth.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andie typed:
quote:
When does the season end and how many more letters do you think will they get through?
Yes, how many more storms does it take, Andie, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty thousand, a million?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
December earthquake and subsequent tsunami's changed the axial tilt of the earth slightly
Um... how does that work? Conservation of momentum is rather strict, y'know.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The axial tilt changed not. Wobbled, the Earth did.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Jay said, the hurricane season ends today for the Atlantic basin. Something that should be pointed out is that the activity of hurricane seasons goes through a cycle of periods of high activity and periods of low activity with the periods running about 30 to 40 years. The last most active hurricane season prior to this one was in 1933, which was in the middle of a period of high activity. That period also gave us the the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane, which is the most powerful hurricane on record to make landfall in the US and the third most intense Atlantic storm ever. We're in the middle of a high activity period right now, and we have been for a while. 1995 is the third most active hurricane season on record for the Atlantic. This season has been truly horrendous, there's no mistake about that.

quote:
As it stands now, they have sets of names they use, and if a large enough hurricane occurs (like Katrina), that name is retired. Once they use up all those names and get into the Greek letters, those can't really be retired.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. When a name is retired from the hurricane name list, another name with the same letter and same gender is inserted into that name's spot on the rotation. As long as there are 500-page baby name books, I doubt we'll run out of names to call these storms.

For example, Hurricane Alicia hit Houston in 1983 and was retired from the name list. Allison took it's place and was used in 1989 and 1995 before being retired in 2001 after hitting Houston again. Allison's name has been replaced with Andrea, which will first pop up in 2007 (time to start a betting pool to see if Houston is the reason Andrea gets retired).

If anything, the NHC ought to reconsider using names starting with either Q, U, X, Y, or Z to the name list. In 1985, the North Pacific naming scheme added names starting with X, Y, and Z to its list. It still doesn't Q and U, though.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you missed the point. The Greek-letter names can't be replaced. If someday Hurricane Theta wipes Miami off the map, or something, how can they retire the name? What will come between Hurricanes Eta and Iota in the future?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the naming system is both relatively new and totally arbitrary. I'm sure we'll all be able to assign names to the greenhouse superstorms that kill us.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Andie typed:
quote:
When does the season end and how many more letters do you think will they get through?
Yes, how many more storms does it take, Andie, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty thousand, a million?
LOL! What was that from?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
"Oh it's sooo lonely being the only android in the village."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having actually weathered these storms, I say we just call them by their local names " You gotta be fucking kidding me" or "not another fucking hurricane!"....or just "fucking hurricane" for short.

Really, this shitty season has cost me over $1000 in lost wages, and a week with no power (three daysf which we had no water either).
And a 19% electricity rate increase next year...

Still, I'm one of the lucky ones- I know people that literally lost their home and all their furniture, also many people that had no power for a month.
That's nothing compared to the poor folks in New Orleans, of course- I cant even imagine their losses.

Of course, there are still shills in the government that declare that global warming is not really happening anf if it is, it's a strictly natural phenomena- certainly not the fault of the heavy industry that funds campaigns.
None of these "scientists" actually live in Florida, of course.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they don't. They may be liars, but they're not dumb.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps