Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » You couldn't keep your hands off of it... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You couldn't keep your hands off of it...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and now this has happened:

60 Puppies killed in a van fire. [Frown]

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=122669

I think they should ban bloody pet stores anyway. Pet factories.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...then where would people get pets?

Edit: Sorry that the puppies were killed, similar incedent happened in Brooklyn or Queens.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breeders? Shelters?

I would never get a pet at a pet store.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I suppose but sometimes breeders and shelters are just as bad. My cousin recently brought two cats at a shelter and they told him the cats were healthy. Pretty soon he realized something was wrong (they wouldn't eat) and he took them to the vet. The vet told my cousin they had been not fed properly for quite some time and soon after they died.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a dog from a shelter about 2 1/2 years ago. It was labeled as a "Australian Shepard" which we have since learned from our veterinarian is the catch-all classification the shelter uses when they have no clue what it is. The adoption cost us over $80.00 and we were told it had had a checkup but only basic shots. Our vet informed us that the shelter does have the animals looked at but it is only a cursory examination, basicly check the temp and see if it has mange or wounds, no tests. So we paid the $60.00 for the required shots. We had the dog for 2 days when the kennel cough started, so we were down another $70.00 to the vet. Then a week later the dog just snapped and got aggressive. It started grabbing our cat and literally sitting on it. We put it outside and a neighbors rabbit dug under our fence and the dog caught it and ate the rabbits head. That was it for the dog, as we returned it to the shelter. I told them that it had gotten aggressive AND had had blood and they put it right back out to be "adopted" again.

Total Animal cost:

4 week dog rental from shelter: $80.00
Total vet bills: $130.00
Cost of pen for housetraining: $110.00
Time off work for vet: $160.00
Cost of food and treats: $35.00

Total cost of PsychoDog: $515.00

So, in the future I will either get a pet from a breeder or someone I know.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

How did the neighbors react to the rabbit being killed?
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was growin up, all of our animals came from shelters and we never once had a bad experience.... we had many dogs and cats through the years, and all of them were wonderful companions that stuck with us for many years.

I personally would want to get an animal from a shelter over a pet store simply because I can't bear the thought of letting an animal that needs some love and a home just be put to sleep because no one cares.....

But that's just me and it's probably because we've always had such good experiences.

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think they should ban bloody pet stores anyway.
Fair enough, but then where would those of us into aquatics buy our livestock from? It's not like we can pop into the nearest rescue centre and pick up a couple of guppies and a bunch of elodea.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm against any "exotic pets" being sold- here in Florida it's become a crisis of retards buying whatever trendy (and often dangerous) pet is "in" and releasing it into the wild once the allure of having a python/cobra/gila monster wears off.
In the Everglades, so many pythons and anacondas have been released that they're breeding like mad and eating many (endangered) animals.

Pet stores are fine for stuff like fish and the occasional box turtle- good for pet supplies as well, of course.

As a kid, we got a great dog from the Humane Society and had him almost fifteen years before he died of old age- man, I cried like a baby when that happened (he was with us since I was six and was part of our family).

Of course, the Humane Society (here) actually gives the animals evaluations as to their temperment and suitability- they wont give an aggressive dog to a family with small children for example. They also pay/nuter any animal they recieve to limit the number of unwanted pets.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
quote:
I think they should ban bloody pet stores anyway.
Fair enough, but then where would those of us into aquatics buy our livestock from? It's not like we can pop into the nearest rescue centre and pick up a couple of guppies and a bunch of elodea.
Well I didn't say an AQUARIUM! [Smile] I'm sure fish stores are fine. Tasty too. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'm against any "exotic pets" being sold- here in Florida it's become a crisis of retards buying whatever trendy (and often dangerous) pet is "in" and releasing it into the wild once the allure of having a python/cobra/gila monster wears off.
In the Everglades, so many pythons and anacondas have been released that they're breeding like mad and eating many (endangered) animals.

Amen to that, I can't understand why people feel the need to buy exotic pests, especially birds. I really hate seeing birds locked up. In the pet store near my house they have a huge parrot for sale and while its in a really big cage I still feel bad for it.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got our dog from a "shelter". Basically a redneck woman in rural Mississippi that keeps dogs in a huge pen out back. To her credit she is doing the best she can (or was I don't know if it is still there since the hurricane). The marginal conditions were simply due to her taking more dogs in than she really should have. The alternative was killing them, so she crowded them instead.

Our pup ended up with a variety of short-term health issues but with a wonderful personality. Sort of odd given she basically ran in a pack her first six months. Very protective of the family, especially "her boy", but completely gentle with kids and smaller animals.

Puppy school certainly helped her though.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got our dog from someone who's pet had a litter. I find there's no problem with adopting/buying a dog from someone like that. Since most families are very loving to thier pets and want to make sure the young ones go to a proper home. It's always a good idea to take a dog or cat or other pet to the vet BEFORE you take possession of it.

And our dog get more than enough love around here. The little swiffer mop (cuz she has really long hair that picks up dust off the floor) practically runs the house.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They also pay/nuter any animal they recieve to limit the number of unwanted pets."

Well, if they're going to cut his balls off, I certainly hope they would at least pay him.

[ August 17, 2006, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the cats my family has ever owned were adopted. We've gone through the Humane Society (and its associated shelters) a few times; other times it's been through acquaintances or random chance. (Like Sassy, whom we did not adopt... she adopted us! [Wink] )

Jeez, it's just occurred to me that I've lived 4/5ths of my life with Oreo, our oldest cat. And she just turned 20!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps