Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Good News and Bad News. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good News and Bad News.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First the bad news:

N. Korea tests Nuke.

Ok, so North Korea is a nuclear power. Normally that wouldn't bother me any more than Iran having nukes. What bothers me is that North Korea has missiles with enough range to hit the continental United States. (and therefore Canada is under threat as well) I'm skeptical on what action the US and the rest of the world community could take against NK. NK has the largest standing army in the world so I doubt anyones going to be taking military action against them. Unfortunately Military action is probably the only way to disarm this threat. Kim Jong has consistently shown contempt for the rest of the world and diplomatic and economic sanctions probably wouldn't influence him in any appreciable way.

And now for some good news:
The Return of the Arrow

Being Canadian, and being interested in Military History. This is a proud moment for me. I'm sure that almost everyone has heard of the CF-105, now people can finally have a chance to see the aircraft in real life.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, North Korea only claims to have test detonated a nuke. And even if it's confirmed, we still have better nukes anyway.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well doesen't that just make be fell better... [Roll Eyes]
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they have nukes. Big deal. This whole "No, we can have nukes but you can't" deal really chaps my ass. Nukes for all or nukes for none, dammit.

Besides, I read Kim Jong-Il's Livejournal. I don't think he really cares.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let China take out North Korea- we can give then a seat at the Security Council (alongside Japan's pending seat) in return.
Right now, China needs to worry about lil Kim more than anyone- Kim can now tell China to go fuck themselves (it's not like Kim gives a shit about their feeding most of his country anyway).
This was the big moment where China said "No, Enough" and Kim said "Phhht."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because its not like China is a permanent member of the Security Council.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well....er...yeah.

Yes, I'm stupid....(sigh) my point being that North Korea does not need to be our exclusive problem while the other superpowers watch us try to fix everything in the world.

China is the only one capable of taking on NK just now.
As I mentioned, sanctions against KN will only hurt their poorest people...in a country where starvation is rampant already and the government just does not care.
Lots of bozos are calling for direct (and private) talks between the US and KN, but that's not wise: the point of having so many witneses is to prevent NK from outright blackmail.

It's what they've wanted al along and giving it to them now would reward their aggression.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China could take on anybody they wanted. Start up a draft. Imagine 340 million conscripts coming at you.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine one highly trained Chinese agent and Kim gets a permanent nite's sleep.

Our greatest worry in the situation is NOT that they have nukes, its who they will SELL them to.

Bin Laden: "Hey Kim-dog...howzit hangin'?"
Kim: "Livin' Large and in charge. d'ja hear our Earth-shaking news homey?"
Bin Laden "F-shizzle.....say.... you wouldn't wanna trade one of those Evil-American-Empirialist-Zappers for some new rims to pimp your ride would ya?"
Kim: "Make 'em Gold plated and its a deal."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Arrow was a... would have been... a marvelous aircraft. Would have been good if the RAF could have bought it, but seeing as they didn't get the TSR.2 anyway, they wouldn't have got it. So that's that.

Huge standing armies are a target rich environment for a pintle mounted machine gun, cluster bombs, MLRS and artillery, all of which is guided onto it's target by networked AWACs systems with a horizon of hundreds of miles. I am not impressed by an army's head count. If that's all an army has got to go on, it risks having an equally impressive body bag count.

It occurs to me that the best way to get attention in this modern world is to let off a nuke. I was always taught that the best approach to a playground bully was to ignore them as giving them attention only fuels their misbehaviour. It may land them a ton of economic sanctions, but by God it will get them a seat at the table.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always taught to punch a bully in the nose and ask him if he really wanted another....

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately some of us have progressed beyond kindergarten politics.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

My bullies were never...insane.
Nor nuclear capable.

As to selling a nuke- Bin Laden's probably not a contender...now Chavez....
that I could easily see: he's probably already got a deal with Putin though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As to selling a nuke- Bin Laden's probably not a contender...now Chavez....
that I could easily see: he's probably already got a deal with Putin though.

Or, y'know....not.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to bear in mind is that this test has not been independently verified. For all we know, it was the worlds biggest TNT landmine. If NKs real priority is, basically, attention grabbing then hoaxing the Security Council is just as good as actually building and detonating a nuke, with the added advantage that a big hole full of TNT is alot cheaper and more readily available than acquiring and processing uranium to weapons grade and building a proper bomb.

And thus I cast my earlier bully analogy in the proper light. If he's being an annoyance, ignore him. I won't break his nose until he actually becomes a threat.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps