Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Euclid meets Esmerelda... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Euclid meets Esmerelda...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After months of intense though, I have decided that our current method of determining your constellation for the purposes of a Horoscope is inadequate. Not only does it rely entirely on chronological age and not the other physical characteristics that determine your sign in the stars, but it also discriminates against constellations not lucky enough to be on the elliptic.

This decided, today I set out to remedy this problem. The resulting mathematical formulae will help you find your true constellation. All you need is a calculator capable of operating in Hexadecimal mode and converting between Hex and standard bas 10 (Dex). The Calculator on Windows should do nicely, though a TI-80something is nice because you can keep track of this monster going in.

To start, we need your birthday... not your usual birthday, however, but it "decimalized" into an eight-digit number without any of this Babylonian 12-month nonsense. The quickest way to find this is:

Take your Birthday (local time) and write as YYYY/MM/DD, then feed it into the following equation:
[10000*(four digit year)]+[844.93*(month - 1)]+[27.76*(date)]

Round to the nearest whole number. I know all the brackets are unneccessary, but just to be sure for all those Mac users out there who are a bit light on the grey matter. Using the above equation, someone born today would have a "decimalized birthday" of 19995736. (looks like a bastardization of a UIN and a stardate, if you ask me).

Now comes the neat part. Convert this number to Hex. I think everyone here will get a resulting number with seven letters and numbers, the first two digits being "12". If you don't have this, you've screwed up somewhere or were not born between 1887 and 1992. (You'd be 11 or 13, then, respectively). Of course, all the mathematics of a Horoscope stops here. But everyone knows, the stars care about more than simple days and nights. In order to give their wholly accurate view on your life, you must give the calculator some more info about you.

Check that your calculator is in Hex mode now

Now we start a little personal quiz of sorts. Add the correct response onto your current hex number as you go from question to question. From these numbers the stars will learn a more accurate picture of you than your birthdate alone.

• Your sex: add 'A' if you're male and 'F' if you're female

• Your blood type, omitting Rhesus classification (Breen may skip this one): add 'A' if it's A, 'B" if it's B, 'AB" if AB, and 0 (zero) if O.

• Eye Color... add 'A' if very dark brown ("black"), 'B' if medium brown, 'C' if hazel or a distict green, 'D' if grey or a bluish green, 'E' if blue.

• Hair Color... add 'A' if Black or near black, 'B' if medium brown, 'C' if sandy brown or dark blonde, 'D' if blonde or lighter.

• Location of Birth... add '1' if Africa, '2' if Asia Minor/Arabia, '3' if Central Asia (India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and all the "stans"), '4' if SE Asia, '5' if Australia and Oceanian Isles, '6' if South America, '7' if Central America and the Caribbean, '8' if North America, '9' if in Europe (inc. Russia E of Urals) and '0' if none of the above.

• Add the number of older siblings that were born to your parents, whether living or dead now. (Don't count infant mortalities)

• Add your mother's age when you born.

• Add your father's age when you were born.

Punch equals... you'll get a new hex number. This puppy will tell all about your place in the cosmos. Write it down somewhere. Now you have to begin the process of repeatedly adding digits together and then adding the digits of the answer etc. until you have one final answer. We'll start with the direction of your new constellation.

Check that your calculator is still in Hex mode now

In the highly unlikely even that you have no letters in the answer, use A and B, OK?

Anyway, clear the screen and add up all the letters that was in the last number. Keep on adding the digits of the result together until you have one single digit. Convert the digit to Dec and write it down somewhere. We'll call it "X".

Put your calculator back into standard Decimal mode now

Add up all the numerical digits that were in that hex number you got after finishing the questions. Again, keep on adding the digits of the result together until you have one single digit, then write it down somewhere. We'll call it "Y"

Now the grand finale. Get your hands on a complete starmap (you know, the ones with the two circles). Most Atlases have one, and I'm sure someone will point one out on the internet shortly, anyway. The Cardinal direction of your constellation (ie, it's value from 0 to 23h RA) is can be calculated as (2X - 9) � 1 h. The Elevation is (20Y - 100) � 5. (A negative elevation indicates, the southern hemisphere)

So, if you're anywhere as nutty as me, go ahead and try it. I'm an Aquila now, just so you know.

------------------
    "They don�t call it show business for nothing. This is an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly town in many, many ways. But big f*cking deal. Big business is ugly. The world is ugly. Our job is to make our little piece of it better. Whenever you get into the general, it�s not going to be all beer and Skittles and Christmas trees."
    -Ira Stephen Behr on the Moore fiasco

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 27, 1999).]

• Cargile
    Nobody Special
    Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I don't have time for this. I'll stick with the Capricorn. Thanks anyway.

------------------
    "What is that? A tank?"
    --Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Lupus. Interesting. Complicated, but interesting.

------------------
    "We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
    --
    John Flansburgh

Elim Garak
    Plain and simple
    Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    *raises both eyebrows*

Uhm... yeah...

------------------
    Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Saiyanman Benjita
    ...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
    Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Anybody know how the heck I'm supposed to convert my birthday to Hex if I don't have a scientific calculator??? I was never able to afford one (Got a B in Calculus1 and a B+ in Calc 2 without, mind you)
    Or if someone can convert 19773796 to Hex for me, I'm just curious.

------------------
    Nurse: Can I help you?
    Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
    Nurse: Reason?
    Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
    Nurse: JACKET!!

Charles Capps
    We appreciate your concern.
    It is noted and stupid.
    Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    19773796 = 12DB964

Remind me to do this when I have free time. Like, next year.

------------------
    Charles Capps
    Chief Administrator, the solareclipse network
    "I do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."

Saiyanman Benjita
    Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Okay, so I did the rest in my head. X is either 25 or 7 depending on what the instructions mean. I'm not sure where you would need Y in your calculations, but my Y is either 15 or 6. Am I just lost or does this make any sense???

------------------
    From Dogbert's management handbook:

"To calculate the amount of time you may be late, multiply the number of people attending by 5 and show up whenever you want to."

[This message has been edited by Saiyanman Benjita (edited July 25, 1999).]

Jubilee
    ...complete with cherries!
    Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Right......... And someone has alot of time on thier hands, don't they?

Seriously, you don't have to do all that to get an accurate picture of your personality based on the stars. What you need is a natal birth chart, and an interpretation program. Preferably, a reliable one. Or you can just give me your birthdate and the time and place you were born and I can do the whole process for you.

See, what people forget is that it's not only your sun sign .... Aries, Taurus, and so on .... it's also where every single OTHER planet was when you were born that makes you who you are.

------------------
    "Angels, answer me,
    are you near if rain should fall?
    Am I to believe
    you will rise to calm the storm?
    For so great a treasure words will never do.
    Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
    mine to give........ "
    ~ Enya

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    You need Y to find the declination of your constellation.

I'm either in the tail end of Hydra or Corvus. I'm not sure which.

------------------
    "Merde!"
    -commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Aethelwer
    Frank G
    Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I got 14 for X and 21 for Y...where do I go from there? I do have the proper star chart.

------------------
    http://frankg.dgne.com/
    "If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

RW
    Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Maths! Run!

BTW what's the English name for that ram thingy? Aries? Well, that's what I am. I just don't know how astrology could have kept mankind fascinated by it for so long. One of the greatest mysteries in life one could say. Hm. *smokes pipe, fails to see the clue. Doctor Watson.)

Jubilee
    ...complete with cherries!
    Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    RW is an Aries? .. Well that explains THAT!

------------------
    "Angels, answer me,
    are you near if rain should fall?
    Am I to believe
    you will rise to calm the storm?
    For so great a treasure words will never do.
    Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
    mine to give........ "
    ~ Enya

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    *notices why someone might get confused* Typo, I think, Tom. You used X in the equation for the declination.

Frank: You can't get a two-digit number for Y. Add them together; it's three. And that puts you in Corona Australis, if you were wondering.

Saiyanman: Your numbers would put you in Taurus.

------------------
    "Merde!"
    -commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Saiyanman Benjita
    Member # 122

That is my normal astro-sign. That's a wicked coincidence.

------------------
    I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

Saiyanman Benjita
    Member # 122

Okay, Jubilee, May 15th 1977. Hastings MI. Where would that put me???

------------------
    I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps