Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A helpful time waster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A helpful time waster
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After searching the my school's web page, I found a link to this.
www.freerice.com

It is a fun way to feed the hungry, and prove you know squat about the English language at the same time.

Perhaps we could put our brain powers together and we could see how much rice as a forum we can help donate? Maybe post our individual totals every so often ( if it interests you of course), and then tally them up.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I've done this before. Interesting concept. I wonder if it really works.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since it was linked from a school web page, I'd assume they have checked it out and found it to be a worthy, and government approved cause.

My total so far,
3200 grains.
Only took me an hour, of crawling through my memories of english lit class.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last thing I want to do is send food to famine areas.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Hopefully others don't share your opinion. If so, well, it was worth a try...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'd rather send them to MickyDs.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

THat costs money, and is full of saturated fat. We want to help feed impoverished people, not give them diabetes. We'll send them to subway instead. [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we want impoverished people to die. Famine is caused by too many people overtaxing the resources of a given area. They need to die off so the land can build again. This is basic ecology.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

What if i were impoverished Shik? Would you want me to die?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

Dude, in about a month, I'm not going to have money to feed myself unless I get a job, & I'M looking at not eating until I do..& being OK with that.

Humans aren't any different than the rest of the lifeforms on this planet. Belief otherwise is what's gotten us to the collapse point where we are now. It's basic ecology: when there's no more food, the population dies. After a while, lack of population means more food, so it grows...then it dies as there's no more. Negative feedback loops work. All sending food does is exacerbate the problem because food equals population growth. If a population of 500,000 is starving because the land can't sustain them, shipping in food from outside sources to make 700,000 people isn't going to help.

It's one of the few things in Trek I disagree on: I think Kodos did the correct & necessary thing.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that there are countries like the United States, Shik, which have more than enough money, resources, and food to feed people who are literally having to sift through the sand to find grains of edible food. It's not a simple utilitarian question of "overtaxing resources" and "basic ecology." It's a pretty short leap between "letting them die out" and helping them die out - why don't you just kill yourself if you're so concerned with the environment and what food you're eating from it? It'd be the most logical thing to do. Actually, the most logical thing to do would be to shoot up your job or school or plant a bomb or something and take others with you, the better to reduce the burden on poor Mother Nature.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So.. if you answer a question wrong, do they take away grains of rice from someone?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it just doesn't count toward your score and the answers get easier.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Irish Potato Famine was the same principle. There were plenty of other crops being grown in Ireland at the time. It was just that the people harvesting them were exporting all of them. It was less a matter of "not enough food" than it was "nobody who's subsisting on potatoes can afford anything else."

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I'm sure that people could find more effective ways to end world hunger. BUt, countries like the US are doing things like donating rice, which doesn't actually make a huge impact on hunger. It's just one of the cheapest possible thingsto do, so that they can say " Yeah, we helped to fight world hunger" SO shik does make some sense. However, humans have this weird code of ethics that other animals seem to lack, or barely have. We not only care about our own survival, but that of others, and can't just stand by while people are suffering. And when we are forced to do nothing, or choose to do nothing, we, for the most part feel bad about it. It is probably evolution at work, but we seem to think that we can counter act evolution. A true god complex...

And even without the whole "end world hunger" thing, this site still helps you work on grammar. Of course Schoolhouse Rock does the same thing...

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps