Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » So easy an eight-year-old could do it!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: So easy an eight-year-old could do it!!!
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I couldn't touch type for the longest time. Turns out, I just needed to teach myself. Shame I spent three years being forced by the school to use Mavis Beacon... *shudders* Ultimately, I don't think exact form matters (for example, my handwriting, if I hold a pencil "correctly," is completely illegible) so long as the final product works.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, in this internet day and age, the more you post on sites like this, the more one can do touch typing after a while. It's all a matter of practice. That and knowing the positions of all the keys on the keyboard.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. It's how I'm learning Dvorak. (well, learning on and off. Which probably isn't helping things.)

I only even learned I could self-teach touch typing when I started getting assigned "lengthy" (3 pages is a lot to hunt and peck!) papers

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Anyone have Lincoln Logs when they were young?

Dear god, did I ever. Loved those things, but I definitely preferred Legos.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lincoln Logs were a blast, when used with other toys.

I also had some little peg like things that could be fit together like legos, they were about an inch long. I built my first stardestroyer out of them.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I never really grasped lincoln logs. YOu can build a house. That's it. And it has to be a square house too. When I was younger, my parents really pissed me off by getting me MEGA BLCKS instead of LEGOs. THe only Legos I got were the ones that came as a set to make a specific thing like an AT-ST, or a harry potter castle.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't have a good set of Lincoln Logs, I had a set that had a variety of lengths, so I could build L shaped places.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yeah an L shape Wooooo. Magic. Even worse, the things I built werent inscale to anything I owned, so my GI joes couldn't battle it out in authentic valley forge style [Frown]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

lol, sure beat a boring square.

I had a ton of those little green plastic army men, they were pretty much to scale, if you ignored the 2 or 3 foot diameter logs. Which at that age didn't bother me at all.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I type 180 wpm on average, faster if I need to. I was doing 120wpm in keyboarding class when I was 14. I don't know if it's just a talent, or what, but I hardly had to do anything to learn touch typing...I just sort of did it. I can't write by hand worth a crap, though; I get horrible shooting pains up my arm and nobody can read it. I probly have dysgraphia or something.

I had TinkerToys, Lincoln Logs, an Erector Set, and about 10lbs of Lego blocks, all scavenged from specific sets - I'd build the UFO or whatever and then tear it apart to invent my own ship/dinosaur/whatever. Every single time mom took me somewhere, I'd cry until she bought me a Lego set... B)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, and Legos. I still have (or rather my son now has) the Legos. Oddly enough, I'm a structural design engineer, and I've never had an Erector set.

And my son, who's in second grade, is now learning to touch-type. I didn't get that until high school, and it was an elective course. I suppose the massive number of personal computers now kinda makes it essential.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Next thing you know they will be teaching warp theory in third grade.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I took touch typing in third grade. I learned it, decided I hated it and forgot about it. I might regret that next year. We had to use these rubber "key condoms" to stop us from looking at the keys. If I have to hand a paper in, I type it up, but things for me, or things that are just checked for credit I hand write. Not that anyone can read it. People complain because my G's look like 8's...

--------------------

-George Carlin

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between my house and my grandmother's (guess that counts as communal property for all the grandkids) I had:

Legos, Lincoln Logs (real wood ones), Tinker Toys (real wood ones), Brix Blocks, Bristle Blocks, Erector Set and these little plastic blue pieces that looked like steel I beams. You hook them together to build skyscrapers then placed the plastic panel "skin" on the outside.

Lincoln Logs were great with other toys. Star Wars figures, army men, Hot Wheels. Besides an L shape you could build any style of structure that had 90 degree angle walls.

And the little 1x1 log pieces made quick and efficient cannons.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I have a set of those little blue plastic I beams. Got it from a garage sale. DId yours come with a "riv-o-matic gun" that shot the rivets into the beams?

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps