Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Quick question about the forums (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quick question about the forums
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or are the "new posts since last visit" icons, that are next to the posts, a little buggy? As it'll still show the icons there for days, even when I have read all the posts there. I even need to click on the "[Update Post Indicators]" link on the front of the forum 2 or 3 times before it clears all the little icons next to posts I've read. Or is there a post somewhere that explains all this and that I should just go away and RTFM? [Smile]
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be your browser's cache isn't clearing. If you use the browser 'reload', it should give you current info.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cache is set for 0 and it still does it for me. I use the [Update Post Indicators]. It could be that the chocolate chips have been replaced with oreos.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that one! You are referring to the Cookies, right?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's the cache that's doing it, as refresh will still show the same post still flagged as "new." They eventually disappear on old threads after like 4 days or so, and the only way to get rid of them after viewing a thread is to use the [Update Post Indicators] a couple of times. Every other forum I visit updates the icons appropriately, just not this one.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you have won the No Bake Award!

One ubb=markallread click to clear the ones I have read, then another click to clear any posts I have made, and I am good. I've been dealing with this for a long time, I figured it was just a quirk of UBB.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd, I don't have any of those problems. The indicators go away as soon as I click a thread's title to go to it.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click [Update Post Indicators] once and only once, when you are done posting for the time being. Yes, this will still leave your posts marked as new. But when you come back to the board later, they'll be marked old properly.

Clicking it multiple times in a row causes the weird behavior you're seeing. The code uses two timestamps to determine what's new and what's not. Every new visit to the board and every click to the link bumps the oldest timestamp off, shifts the newest to the oldest's position, and puts the current time in the new slot.

This means that the next time you come to the board, it can only compare two almost identical timestamps to figure out what's new. That causes all sorts of fun problems.

So, as I said. Click it once. Just once. Treat this place like it's running on an antiquated quirky piece of crap software, and you'll be fine. It's funny because it's true.

The next class starship UBB7 upgrade that never happened (and never will) was to come with sane, modern new post notification. If RL ever stops ambushing me with BS, I'll be able to finish the new forum software. (There's a running prototype, but critical features are missing that prevent it from taking over Flare.)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I feel so scolded.......

I've been meaning to ask you about just that subject, the main question is OS or pay?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After using UBB for nine years I'm not so sure I'd like that as a replacement.... :S

A lot of the other boards I frequent use vBulletin, which is a pretty nifty system.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't frequent other boards. Too many nerds.

*can't hold a straight face and nearly dies laughing*

OverRon
Member # 2036

Well I got the weirdness with the new posts before I ever found the new post updater link on the front page. Hell, I only ever saw that link a few days ago. I can live with this little "quirk," it's like that window that won't shut right in your home, or that crack in the pavement on the way to work, it makes the forums feel "lived in." [Smile]

As for other boards, I used to visit the spacebattles forum occasionaly, and that place is filled with hard core number crunchers and military geeks. The vs. board is filled with universe vs. universe fights, with people trotting out things like:

Rabid Warsie: "An Eclipse SSD would rape the Federation single handed. {Insert complicated weapon yield formula from onscreen evidence}"

Rabid Trekkie: "Then the Federation would send 31st century timeships to stop them and erase them from history. {insert even more complicated formula from onscreen evidence and guesswork}"

Rabid Warsie: "Well the couldn't fight the whole might of the Empire, Sith/Jedi included. {Insert stupid claim and BS calculations}"

Rabid Trekkie: "Well Q beats all. {Insert picture of Q}"

Those people scare me! [Razz]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
After using UBB for nine years I'm not so sure I'd like that as a replacement.... :S

A lot of the other boards I frequent use vBulletin, which is a pretty nifty system.

I like the SMF form used at SCN.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OverRon
Member # 2036

A couple of forum's I frequent use SMF too, it's okay as forum thingies go.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solution will be custom-developed and released as open source. GPL3, probably.

The only existing package I'd ever consider is Vanilla, but I don't think you guys would like it too much.

SMF is coded by amateur monkeys. phpBB is untrustable. vBulletin is coded by assholes. Invision is... questionable. Hmm, who else does that leave...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps