Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » ACC RIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ACC RIP
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Explain.

Characters should be more than talking plot devices.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only skimmed F451. The teacher who assigned it to us taught it from Cliff's Notes because she couldn't be bothered to read it herself; why should I do any different?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was absent from school with medication related illnesses for the majority of the reading. I find it hard to read when I am asleep, or druged up, or so emotional that I cry when Voyager comes on the tele.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager makes me want to cry sometimes too.

And yes, I'll agree that Asimov's characters were at times just talking plot devices. Two books had a man who was never wrong, it was the driving force behind the entire plot, and NOBODY bothers to ask how this can possibly be! But Asimov could also rise above that. Read "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation" to see that. "The Gods Themselves" for an earlier example. Or "The Bicentennial Man" and "The Ugly Little Boy", among other short stories. And even when his characters were just advancing the plot, the plots were pretty damned good.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard time caring about the plots. I tried the Foundation books after my dad bought them for me. It was like eating ash, so I sold them.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a short story once, I think by Asimov. Algernon? I think the name was. A nice little story about a mentally slow man who is made smart along with a lab rat. They both die however. Sad. [Frown]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

That's not Asimov.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither's Fahrenheit 451
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, whether it sucked or not, the proposal of the Transformers live-action movie as evidence for this NOT being a Dark Age of Sci-Fi is inherently depressing. It's like when someone here said "I DO read Sci-Fi - for example, I've read all the X-Files novels!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Shik
Member # 343

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'd rather eat 'ash' as opposed to watch a two story robo-car not be seen in the open, since it appears the neighbors do not look out there windows.

Timing sequences like that, example, dragon wars, where the evil serpent is at the window and the shrink turns around too late to see it. So freaking cheesy.

SG-1 not so good movie.
SGA spin off and pretty dullish now
BSG rehash
Tranformers reshash
Flash Gordon bleh, Flesh Gordon could be a better alternative.

Sci Fi today bleh

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Member # 343

I didn't say the rest of that was any good, either. In fact, I've seen none of it.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sci Fi today bleh
Terminator!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps