Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » ACC RIP (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ACC RIP
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I didn't kill it, blame hollycrap for not having original ideas.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know F451 was older than the net...I'm not saying he should've seen ahead somehow...but that doesn't mean it isn't dated anymore.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Asimov was no great loss.

(Beats Shik senseless)

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No great loss, to you maybe.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grumble grumble, conflation of books with TV, grumble.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bitches, please. Asimov was an idea man only. He should've sold off that shit & let someone with talent write them up.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chances are that that hired writer would fail to apply the ideas in the context that they were meant to be in. He might put have tried to put something like F451 ( which was written by Bradbury, I know, but I'm using this as an example because I am not familiar with Asimov's works) in the past, or direct present day, or too far in the future. Sometimes the correct formula is in the writer's head, and only he/she can put it on paper in a way that makes the ideas flow.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can still make a layout of the idea & let someone who actually can write handle the grunt work. Happens all the time.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, you base your opinions on reading how much Asimov, exactly? Yes, he based a lot of his stories on his (awesome) concepts of psychohistory and the three laws of robotics, and especially in the early Foundation trilogy that came at the expense of characterization. But he also wrote stories that had very powerful emotional content. Forward the Foundation is essentially the story of a great man slowly losing everyone he's ever cared about as he ages, even as he tries to leave something behind for the rest of humanity. You can see Asimov himself there, writing just before he died.

If all you've read is some of the early Foundation books, you don't know Asimov at all.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Member # 343

No, there's more that I read...it's just that none of it was particularly enough to stick with me save the 2 short stories that every & their uncle knows. And I don't read later books of a series without reading the ones that came before. And that's not like to happen any time soon.

Again, in short: Asimov--visionary brain, awful writer. There's no shame in that.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His short stories were much better - they suited his style much better. Foundation books kind of read like a text book sometimes.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Shik
Member # 343

Agreed.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I enjoyed his short story version of Nightfall very much.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read *much* of him...a few things, here and there. Some non-fiction when I was a kid. What I remember most is, of course, the short that Shik mentioned.

I also remember ssssomething about a...companion star and planet to the Sun...hidden behind a dust cloud...sentient bacteria or somesuch...What do I google here, 'planet dustcloud asimov companion'...Aha! "Nemesis."

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine if Azimov or AcC helped create Macross...

in a way, he/they did...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps