Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why whine? It's more effective than the Jenny Craig diet. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why whine? It's more effective than the Jenny Craig diet.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean all of them, I meant the ones that have. You haven't heard of these people? There are groups dedicated to the idea that anorexia is a personal choice, that it's not a disease, and that people that skinny are attractive. They have websites, meetings, advocacy groups...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I know. But you can't choose to be anorexic, anymore than you can chose to be allergic to nuts.

People being idiots makes it even harder for people who are genuinely ill.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but why do idiots breed more often? I mean, all dwarwinian here, shouldn't there be LESS idiots?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately the laws that be demand that idiots be given the same rights as non-idiots. It's that discrimination thing.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there are fewer idiots now than in antiquity, but that may just be an artifact of continued scientific progress (in fact, it probably is, but it helps me to retain hope for humanity to believe otherwise). Maybe one day there will be very few left...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you're the kind of stupid that makes you walk off a cliff or stick your head out of a moving train or something, just being an idiot doesn't stop you from having babies. (Hell, if anything, it probably makes you more likely.)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only more idiots now than in antiquity because the population has exploded so vastly since then.
All of populace of entire the Greek Golden Age would likely fit in today's New York at any given time.
Go read the amazing Pessimist's Guide To History and witness all the times nature tried very hard to limit our numbers, to no avail.

Medical Science is largely smart people being used by large corperation to keep sheep alive and sickly to buy more medicine.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

No, I said, I think there are fewer idiots now, not more. (Proportionally, of course.) But it's mainly just a wishful thinking type self-delusion.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you said, but I disagree: the adverage person back then had to grow up a lot quicker and be more shrewd.
Consider that by fifteen, a person was an adult- the adverage fifiteen year old can barely tie his shoes without mommy's help, much less manage his own money, earn a living and defend himself.

Most people from antiquity, despite a general lack of undersatanding of sciences we take for granted would consider us a nation of idiots- if only for the slights we allow to go unanswered.

Plus, in spite of feely available knowledge and conpulsory education, most people are worthless tools.
Really- how many surveys show that many people think the sun revolves around the Earth?
Fuck sakes.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Meh, I misread you. My bad.

Well, depends on if by idiot you mean 'has no common sense' or 'has no scientific and/or academic knowledge.' I prefer the latter definition, reserving 'fool' for the former. In which case I agree, most old peasants would call us a nation of fools.

Funny, I was just talking about that sun-round-the-earth bit with a friend of mine from the UK about an hour ago. I suggested we change the word 'sunrise,' for example, to 'earthrotatesintothesunlight.' Maybe it's just the language that confuses weak minds [Razz] (joke, of course).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps