Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Seriously? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Seriously?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
No. No it wouldn't. And then anybody can cook it if they want to instead of having to pay a particular establishment for it.

But then no one would own anything. There would be no secrets. I can understand that patenting the an idea is stupid, but saying that all ideas have to be available to everyone is kind of stupid. No one would want to invent anything anymore. A lot of people invent things that in reality no one needs ( like a lot of Ron Popeil's items), but that people find handy, in order to make money and to gain fame. If all new inventions, or methods of doing things were made public domain, no one would be motivated to create/discover/improve upon them, other than people who just want to help society, and there are way to few of those.

I apologize if I am misunderstanding your point of view Dan.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I patented Jive as a language.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think you understand it pretty well. I know it's an unpopular viewpoint but I think that everyone should share everything equally and lift each other up instead of gaining personal wealth.

Of course, I don't operate according to that ideal because I'd end up taken advantage of at every turn. It's the way I wish the world was, but I recognize it's not the way the world will ever be.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I patented Jive as a language.

JIVE TURKEY!

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
No, I think you understand it pretty well. I know it's an unpopular viewpoint but I think that everyone should share everything equally and lift each other up instead of gaining personal wealth.

Of course, I don't operate according to that ideal because I'd end up taken advantage of at every turn. It's the way I wish the world was, but I recognize it's not the way the world will ever be.

That's pretty much communism,Dan. And, it is a good idea, the only problem is that some schmuck always gets greedy and takes advantage of any power he is given, people like Stalin. Of course, Stalin was a crazy paranoid bastard to begin with...either way though, the nature of the human race prevents a control economy from actually working properly.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Well, it wouldn't be the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices if everyone knew about it, would it now?

Omni magazine had the stuff analized. The secret herbs and spices turned out to be Salt, Pepper Flour and MSG.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I wouldn't really know, as I have never eaten KFC. I would like to, but the nearest outlet is 20 miles away...

--------------------

-George Carlin

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not missing out.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's communism; I've been around the block a few times [Razz] And you're right about everything you said, hence why I realize it won't ever be possible yet wish it could be.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Sorry, it's in my system. I had to write an essay on the workings of communism for my global studies final...

If communism could be executed properly,even though that will never happen, I probably would support it, given the absolute mess of a government that runs this country. Who knows, maybe things will clear up when we get a president who speaks english.

--------------------

-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly. Communism in its purest form is actually a decent form of government when you look at it. With the exception in that its terribly easy to have a dictator or other take power over the others.

Doesn't help that when I say that, people look at me like I'm a terrorist (more than usual). Most of the Americans I know and live with are too ignorant to even know what Communism is. We're just trained to hate it. Then again, most people I know don't even know all the planets, let alone in order...

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Could be worse. Most of my family are homophobic racists, who think that the Irish, Blacks, Mexicans, gays, pre-marital sex, and atheism are to blame for how screwed up our country is. But, of course, according to them, we are still the best country, as if it were some sort of pissing match. I'd rather be a Canadian citizen right now. At least my french skills would be of use up there.

--------------------

-George Carlin

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without anything driving it though, communism at best leads to an unchanging status quo as there is no real incentive for improvement and eventually that will lead to entropy.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anarchy FTW.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Most of my family ... think that the Irish [et al.] ... are to blame for how screwed up our country is."

I take it "Sean" is not really your name, then.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps