Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Keep Track of Mars Polar Lander (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Keep Track of Mars Polar Lander
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh DEAR!

Looks like the lastest chance for communication to mars has been met with deafening silence.

Tonight they're gonna try to relay a message through the global Surveyor in orbit.

I can hear the NASA people scrambling at straws from the other side of the Atlantic.

There's gonna be hell to pay...

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's the ultimate proof! Intelligent beings on the surface of Mars have destroyed the polar lander! We must act now or face the threat of the terrible heat rays as robotic machines will sweep the globe and steal our resources! I tell you, I'm out of here. You are warned. We are doomed. Oh mighty lord, give us strength in these dark times. May Jesus lead us to victory over the Martian threat! OOOOHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Did I get carried away?

Oh dear.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Next window is at 1:30pm EST for the chance at communication !!
*keeping fingers crossed*

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

And it failed. But look at the bright side of everything: this one probably made it to the surface intact. It's a first step.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup.. they're saying that the landing went exactly as planned.. so now the problem may be the antenna is aim improperly.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that probe isn't Y2K ready?

------------------
I don't care who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.
Who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.

-Backstreet Boys

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not a peep from any of it.
It has evidently ceased to be.
It is an ex-mission!

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it hasn't, it's just resting.

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@#$%. ^*&$#@##^%^#! ^$&#&* &^## ^!@@#@&*! &* @$#&@^%#$ %#$#%$ ^&#%@&^#$!!!!

I think you all know just about how I feel about this whole thing right now.

And last night my girlfriend told me her uncle was one of the guys who made the mistake that crashed the Mars Climate Orbiter.

So I dumped her.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not really.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

"Is he objecting or just backing up" - Fry - Futurama

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone care to explain to me how they could know it landed safely with the antenna pointing the wrong way? Seems to me they'd need some sort of signal to verify that.
IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Like everything else they're ASSUMING !!!

They don't know anything for sure... only that as it was landing, everything was going according to plan.

and then.... big fat NOTHING!!!!

They continue to explain that it is only a possibility that the antenna was knock astray .. or whatever !!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Here's a quote from one of the press releases given by NASA:

"Tonight, Sunday, Dec. 5 from 10:10 to 11:10 p.m., an attempt will be made to listen for signals from the lander that would be sent through its medium gain antenna if the lander is in safe, or standby mode, and its antenna is not pointed correctly."

Now they're also saying that whether or not they actually make contact with the lander it will almost be a moot victory, cuz the microprobes will have insufficient battery life to conduct the tasks they were designed to do...

ahhhhh Technology ... we can land people on the moon 30 years ago but we CAN'T land a freakin' robot on our neighbouring planet using today's advances !!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 06, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advances like what? Microwave ovens? Microsoft Windows?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps