Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Keep Track of Mars Polar Lander (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Keep Track of Mars Polar Lander
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

<-- The New Bill Gates Product -->

MicroProbes Window of Error 2000: Just when you think you're Y2k compliant - THINK AGAIN!!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 06, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least with the Orbiter...orbiting, we'll be able to actually see what happened. I think. Anybody know if it has enough resolution?

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alshrim: My question was meant somewhat sarcastically. Without receiving a signal from it, they obviously wouldn't know exactly what happened. For example, the little green men might have taken the antenna off...
IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understood your sarcasm !

Sol: Nope.. not even the orbiter can contact the lander.. they been barraging the lander with radio from the orbiter !!! Notta!!! NO JOY!!

Now they are in the phase where the lander is a write-off and it's time to figure out what went wrong!!

Man .. 300 and some MILLION US dollars ... down the tubes !! That's gotta suck.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing they'll ever hear about the Mars Polar Lander: "KISS YOUR FUNDING GOODBYE!!!!"

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A. Dax: I believe Sol was asking if the orbiter can be used to take a picture of the landing site to see if the lander is visible. Which I believe is what they're going to try to do, but I don't know what the res is...

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

Actually, I might as well see if I can't look that up. Back in a jif.

Aha! The answer.

------------------
--
John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... 1.4m... And the lander is 3.6m wide... Well, at least they'll be able to see if it's there or not...

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that should make it easy!

Now all they have to do is figure out which four pixels represents $300 million of bad investment.

Provided the pieces all came to rest in one spot no less than 1.4 meters wide.

------------------
"The difficult part in an argument is not to defend one's opinion, but rather to know it."
--Andre Maurois
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still saying conspiracy especially for the last mission - with the imperial metric mix up - I mean they have computers to DO this - I think its another pathetic lie in a long list of lies - like - oh it was just a weather balloon.

Here that something crashed into a lake in northern New South Wales near the Queensland boarder - there was a whole lot of flattened reeds near the 'splashdown' area too!

I was outside 'stargazing' with friends last night - read drinking alchi-hol and chatting etc.) we saw quite a few shooting stars - ok say about 4-5 in a space of about three hours - and they were like the leonids with the bright after glow tails - I wonder if there was any
connection?

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many failed Mars missions in a row does this make, anyway? The conspiracy theory guys should be holed up in their bunkers by now.

"Its... it's them damn MARTIANS, that's what!"

"They're just waiting for the ideal moment to pounce on us and put us under the iron boot and chainmail sock of the @#%$ U.N!"

"Damn Clinton anyway!"

------------------
A cheeseburger, french fries and a vanilla shake. It's not the best meal; far from it. But it is perfect, the Holy Trinity of American cuisine.
--James Lileks

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

This double post has been...terminated!

*puts on his shades*

------------------
--
John Linnell

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Well folks.. that's all she wrote !!!

Below is the article from the site in the original post. This sucks.. it's too bad really .. for the first time since the first Shuttle lift off, I was become interested and excited about the space program.

This is a blow!!

"Flight controllers have been unable to contact the Mars Polar Lander. While attempts continue, it is unlikely they will be successful. More likely there was a catastophic failure of the spacecraft during its entry, descent, or landing. The cause may never be known, but high-resolution images from the Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) aboard the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft may yield clues. These images will be taken during the next few weeks. Meanwhile, the science team at UCLA is beginning the difficult task of saying goodbye and disassembling the Mars Science Operations Center. We all hope that the unique scientific questions of this mission will be addressed in the future"

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I think it's because the Grays don't want Earthlings to discover their secret Martian polar base, from which they will launch their final onslau...

[lost time interval: approximately 15 minutes.]

Huh? Oh, right. You all know I was just kidding, huh?

[Hey! My tea was hot just seconds ago. What happened?]

------------------
"You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
--Yogi Berra

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 13, 1999).]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

LOL - You friggin' kill me !!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps