Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My cousin sent me this (Part V) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My cousin sent me this (Part V)
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I've thought of that first one a few times myself!

"Theories" sponsored by Omni magazine.

GRAND PRIZE WINNER

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. And when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.

RUNNERS-UP:

1st Runner Up

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary works in Braille.

2nd Runner Up

Why Yawning Is Contagious: You yawn to equalize the pressure on your eardrums. This pressure change outside your eardrums unbalances other people's ear pressures, so they must yawn to even it out.

3rd Runner Up

Communist China is technologically underdeveloped because they have no alphabet and therefore cannot use acronyms to communicate ideas at a faster rate.

4th Runner Up

The earth may spin faster on its axis due to deforestation. Just as a figure skater's rate of spin increases when the arms are brought in close to the body, the cutting of tall trees may cause our planet to spin dangerously fast. Could explain your increasing dizziness...

Finally Honorable Mention:

The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Don't you just love science?

------------------
I learned something: it is not enough to not buy the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. It is important that you not want to buy it. It is crucial for your ranking as a domesticated male that you actually hold the entire enterprise in bemused contempt, like a eunuch dropped in Salome's lap.
-- James Lileks

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science is beautiful. I got 105's for semester grades in Science. I miss it.

That, however ... is MESSED.

------------------
"Telling the truth was his death sentence" - Maria Theresa Tula

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*intends to try that cat experiment*

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protect the cats! Ban the spinning machine! Join the protest!

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next thing in Genetic engineering. Four Cats, back toback to back to back. All the world power problems are solved.Or, one piece of toast buttered on both sides.

Can you tell i'm bored.

------------------
Down for Upgrade

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of cats, I dissected one today in Physiology...

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cat one is still blowing my mind. It could be the great paradox of the age!!

------------------
To make an apple pie from scratch, we must first invent the universe.

~Carl Sagan

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand these jokes.
I know two things-
Omni Magazine hasn't been in circulation for years.
I love cats, have five cats, and hate any mention of cats being tossed by their tails or being strapped to any asinine contraption. They are my "children".

IP: Logged
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've finally decided to see what Baloo's cousin has sent him.

I have one word: 'strange'

BTW - I hate cats, can't stand them.

------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

BURN THE CAT HATER!!

Er, ahem. No. Cats are great. They own you, you see, not the other way round :]

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take your word for it, but in my case, they could never own me, I just hate the bloody things too much.

------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

True. you have to be a bit of a nutter to love cats :]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*growlgrumblemuttergrowlSNARL*

CAT DISSECTION?!?!!?!. .. *GROWL!*

I can't BELIEVE they would dissect CATS! .. I think i'm going to be ill now....

*loves her cats* *her cats are her familiars and she couldn't live without them* *hates the thought of them getting abused at ALL, let alone dissected*

*SHUDDER*

------------------
"Telling the truth was his death sentence" - Maria Theresa Tula

RW
Member # 27

One of our cats died of feline aids four years ago o_O

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister had 2 siamese cats for 10 years. One had to be put down last year because of failing health. The other is getting along okay.

I prefer dogs. They are much more demonstrative, but I can get along with cats okay. With cats, however, I don't get as much overt affection as I like.

--Baloo

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 24, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps