Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Looking for advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Looking for advice
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice here. I need some advice in the matters concerning the heart. You see, there's this girl in my class that I like. I'm not sure if she knows, but she may. Now, there is an upcoming cabaret at my school for Christmas. I usually never go to dances, unless I have nothing else to do, or a girl that I like is going. Truth be told, dances aren't all that entertaining to me due to the fact that, quite frankly, I can't dance. But I can slow dance. And damned if I try to be romantic. So, what I'm asking is how can I ask her to the dance without screwing up?

------------------
"Yeah, well I need a purple wig but you don't see me complaining!"
-Nathan McFarlane

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest (though least... brave) way is to ask through a friend or write a short note (i.e. a few words) and ask.

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."
-- Actual quote

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: The most effective method is to just go up to her in front of God and everybody and ask. If she likes you, she will be thrilled that you overcame your shyness to do it that way. If she doesn't like you, at least she won't dislike you any more than she does. If she really doesn't like you at all, she'll probably say something to you loudly enough that all the other females in the room will interpret to mean:

1. She has no interest in you,
  2. She doesn't appreciate a good thing when she sees it,
  3. you're free to go to the dance with anyone else who's interested (and I'll bet someone else probably is, though it's probably up to you to discover who it might be), and
  4. She's not worth your trouble, so you needn't waste any isofantons (the elementary particles of fantasy) on her. In this case, choose someone else as the object of your desire. She's like a juicy, ripe, red apple with a rotting core.

Of course, if she says yes, you won't have to worry about the above items. For now, at least.

--Baloo

------------------
"The difficult part in an argument is not to defend one's opinion, but rather to know it."
--Andre Maurois
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isofantons. Oh, that's good. That needs to be recorded somewhere.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tell Frank, but they aren't canon.

------------------
A cheeseburger, french fries and a vanilla shake. It's not the best meal; far from it. But it is perfect, the Holy Trinity of American cuisine.
--James Lileks

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Baloo. But I have to interject the best comment from ZZ Top: Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

------------------
Is it defeat or victory that waits in the dark?

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pokes her boyfriend*

"p.s: I love you" ?

------------------
"SHOES!"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, go up and ask flat out. Even if it fails at least you can be proud of your courage in asking.

Anyone got any advice on how i can seduce a girl I like? problem: She's engaged to someone else.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: Just flippin' ASK. Trust me, sometimes it actually works. Try not to drool, and check yourself over for boogers or a slipped fly or untied shoes before you walk up to her.

Montgomery: DON'T. Trust me on this. I tried, once. Once.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. I shall endeavour to put this to good use. My major problem is that I'm so afraid of being rejected that I'm paranoid. I think that every girl I ask out is going to reject me, and seeing as where I'm so afraid of rejection, I never ask. That already screwed me up once, I hope it doesn't do it again...

------------------
"Yeah, well I need a purple wig but you don't see me complaining!"
-Nathan McFarlane

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saiyanman: That's an interesting point, but I wouldn't take the ZZ Top thing too far. I mean, if he were to take "Lord, take me downtown, I'm just looking for some tush" as advice, there could be problems. :-)

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the way I've overcome it is by imaging myself at the age of 40, alone, never having done anything exciting, listening to Cliff on my CD player, with absolutly no stories to tell anyone, not that it matters, because I don't talk to anyone.

Cheerful innit? Still, I'm pretty much game for anything now, as long as it doesn't involve more men in the bed than women.

Oh, and Monty, you should talk to Sol. I think he's had similar problems.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Fabrux. Of course you're afraid she'll reject you. Chances are, you will be rejected about as many times as accepted (perhaps more). The only thing to it is resign yourself to the fact that some women don't recognize your better qualities, recognize qualities in themselves that will make them unhappy with you despite your virtues, or just want to embarrass someone in public to make themselves feel better. (I'm disregarding the possibility that you are actually a reprehensible person, or you would not have asked the question).

There are women who not only find you attractive, but would give their right arm to date you. The only way to find out who they are is to ask. If she says "no", just say "Okay", don't hang your head, don't beg, and move along. If she said "No" because she isn't sure, begging will be counterproductive, and maybe one of her friends will say "What were you thinking?!?"

If she has a change of heart, she'll find a way to let you know. If she doesn't you needn't waste time grieving over what might have been. It wouldn't have been fun. Don't wait too long to ask the next prospect.

--Baloo

------------------
A cheeseburger, french fries and a vanilla shake. It's not the best meal; far from it. But it is perfect, the Holy Trinity of American cuisine.
--James Lileks

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women. Bah!

And it would probably be best for Monty to avoid my advice, as the only thing I seem to have accomplished is an engagement traded for shacking up with some 30 year-old divorcee. 29, actually, I think. But that doesn't have the same weight to it.

Where was I? Oh, right. I need pity.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lovely lady I adore is only 25, and so very FIT!

(eeeeEEEEE this is TWISTED! )

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps