Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A couple of christmas questions. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A couple of christmas questions.
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the song "White Christmas" I came up with a couple of questions that I'm looking for answers to.

#1. If we in America and England and such are dreaming of a "White" Christmas, what are people in the southern hemisphere thinking of? I mean they couldn't possibly want snow in the middle of summer, do they?

#2. Isn't White quite the politically incorrect term? I mean what about the people of different races? Isn't White another phrase for Caucasian-American? Or should we be dreaming of a diverse Christmas, where the people hold hands like back in the day? A little help here would be well appreciated.

------------------
Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this would recieve more help in the Officer's Lounge.

And, uh, white is referring to Snow, not skin color. I don't know how the hell you got any racism out of that song, but you either need to not try so hard, or chill out and get a life.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited December 17, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you'll notice that he referred to snow in his first point. That would make the racism think a joke, based on so many people's fascination w/ political correctness.

But I think you're right about this belonging in the OL. *moves it*

------------------
"Back in the 14th century, stair-stepping to the oldies was not considered manly."
-John Scalzi, on the longbow as the best weapon of the second millennium

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scuse me but I have to agree with ultra magnus, how the $%^&*^ did you come up with snow being white is racism? God created snow, and snow is white, therefore since God created it, and see us all as equals, which we are, all equall, skin color means jack shit. Snow is not racist, the song is about a guy wishing it would snow!!!! some people need to stop reading to much into things. the word is "chill"

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called a joke, you see. An anecdote with a humorous climax. Have we become so gray that we have to remove the Forum's funnybone? I hope not.

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God didn't create snow, Santa did. Along with eggnog and escimo's. Get your records straight, willya !?!

------------------
-You are crazy.
-I thought I was pisces.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the water cycle and temperature variations created snow. Please, stay away from superstitious mumbo-jumbo. It'll only do you ill.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that in the southern hemisphere, those that consider Christmas at all, dream of a white Christmas, but don't miss the cold weather, since their Christmas feast is probably more like a good barbecue party with plenty of beer and lots of cool, semi-frozen drinks with rum in them (parasols omitted -- you could put an eye out that way! ).

In conclusion, for the southern hemisphere, dreaming of a white Christmas is a fantasy. For the northern hemisphere, dreaming of a white Christmas allows us to romanticize weather that ordinarily makes us seriously consider migrating to a warmer climate. I can't ever recall having to shovel the rain out of the driveway so I could get to work.

As far as Saiyanman Benjita's second question, I believe he was obliquely pointing out one of the things that irritate the hell out of me with "political correctness": Absolutely nothing humorous is allowed since any humor hinges upon difference, as opposed to diversity. He was humor to point out the fact that PC is utterly humorless, and hates those who are not.

When I was young, we used to joke that the KKK's favorite Christmas song was "White Christmas". How can you denigrate a song that allows you to make fun of racists?

------------------
I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
-W.C. Fields
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Snow creates itself, temperature is only a stimulant.

And I referred to African-American holes way back, and everybody got it. Or is it that Americans have to be explicitly told that a joke is a joke or else they get confused?

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you not an american yourself RW?

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, no, he's not. Look at his profile.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr... Yes. Yes, indeed. Holland is right next to New Jersey. Ask any high school graduate.

American, that is.

------------------
I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
-W.C. Fields
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister used to think Georgia was in Florida. She held that belief until her sophomore year of high school.

Sad, ain't it?

------------------
"SHOES!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad, but typical...

------------------
"Back in the 14th century, stair-stepping to the oldies was not considered manly."
-John Scalzi, on the longbow as the best weapon of the second millennium

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Of course, some high school students are excellant spellers, a far cry from those intermedayet spellers from across the atlantic oshin.

*looks at Dutch high school students*
Hey, it's not that different..

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps