Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Car Insurance Rates (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Car Insurance Rates
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever been in an accident where it's not your fault and the driver behind the wheel of the other car had no insurance? I have. And it's a nightmare. Now, imagine if that happened and you also didn't have insurance because it wasn't mandatory... who would pay the $40,000+ total in madical bills? Who would pay out the $6000 necessary to fix your car? Not to mantion the fact that it takes 30+ days to get said car fixed, so suddenly there's a $30 a day fee for a rental to get you to and from Dr. appts, lawyer visits, insurance briefings and the like.

I GLADLY pay $134 a month for insurance. It's a great deal, as far as I'm concerned. Since I've been insured with this company on my own, they've paid out double what I've put in, due to unfortunate circumstances, and I feel blessed.

Insurance companies reward you when you're good, and punish you when you're bad. There's a reason for that. The more of a liability you become, the more it costs them to insure you, so then to recover that, you have to pay more.

I've dealt with it all with insurance now.... theft, total loss situations, medical, and repairable damage. None of them were my fault though, so in the two years that I was insured with my Civic, even though I had $20,000 in personal claims, my rates were cut nearly in half as I kept my record clean.

I pray that you never get put in a situation where insurance has to cover you for thousands of dollars due to some uninsured (or even underinsured) idiot, but if you do, I guarentee that you'll think differently and stop whining about a measly $80 a month. [Roll Eyes]

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay a grand total of $170 a month for both car AND health insurance. I've kept my nose clean, and both deer I hit qualify as "Acts of Nature", so they're not my fault (plus, I waited until I hit the second deer to get the damage from the first fixed, so it was only one claim).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you admit that you planned to kill the deer as part of an insurance fraud? [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, no, no, that is a 10 to 15 year felony.....
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I sometimes forget about threads, kinda like Lenny in Memento...)

To start off, the tuition thing is on a credit card, so I pay that monthly. And for the insurance payments, I have no idea. My mom pays for the insurance for the three of us every month, and I pay her the amount she set. I don't know what our insurance rates are/were. Now, you have to understand the circumstances that lead to this increase. Yes, I fully admit that my accident was my fault. There was no excusing that. However, my father's accident occured as he was backing up his truck at an intersection to make way for an incoming fire truck. When he checked, there was nothing behind him. But when he moved, a car pulled out of somewhere and he backed into it. As for my brother's accident, I'm not sure about that one. I don't think it was supposed to be on our policy, as he had just started his own at the time. Either that, or we had repaired the other car ourselves.

Also, it's my understanding that in NB at the moment, car insurance rates are increasing quite a bit, due to large amounts of false claims. Now, sopmeone could probably prove me wrong on this, but that's my understanding. I only make so much money at work and I can only work so much. There aren't any shifts available when I don't have lectures or labs. However it seems as though I'm coming off as just another whiney teenager, in which case I'll be quiet now and not talk about my problems. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:

Insurance companies reward you when you're good, and punish you when you're bad.
~LOA

Kinda like our parents eh?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOA: If I get in an accident, and it's the other person's fault, why would my insurance have to cover them if they're uninsured? Shouldn't the money to repair my vehicle come out of their pocket? It worked for us when my brother had an accident. We gave the other party our car to use and my dad and brother repaired the damage to their vehicle.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only wish regarding insurance: If you never get in to wrecks, your rates should continually go down while covering you to for the same amounts... Not just going down every once in awhile.

After I turned 26 my insurance payments dropped by nearly half due to me being out of the "danger zone" for having a wreck. It should continue to go down in my opinion, say X percent every two years I go without having a wreck.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
LOA: If I get in an accident, and it's the other person's fault, why would my insurance have to cover them if they're uninsured? Shouldn't the money to repair my vehicle come out of their pocket? It worked for us when my brother had an accident. We gave the other party our car to use and my dad and brother repaired the damage to their vehicle.

IIRC, if its the other person's fault and both of you don't have insurance, then the other person could just declare bankrupcy and then you're really screwed.
Even if he doesn't, and he doesn't have the money, I suppose you could repossess his stuff, garnish his cheques, etc. but its a long and tedious fight which you shouldn't have to fight in the first place since it IS his fault.
Thats why mandatory insurance is usually a good idea. I just have a problem with how they arbitrarily raise insurance for certain demographics, but thats another issue.

Your solution to a lack of insurance is cute, but I'm really surprised it worked, considering how quaint and McGuyverish it is. If you're in an accident, you're not going to let a bunch of amateurs fix your car. As for transferring a replacement vehicle for a while, I have a headache just thinking about the legal issues, liability, etc.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps