Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I'm gonna gitcha because ya tried ta off ma old man..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm gonna gitcha because ya tried ta off ma old man.....
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.....according to George W. Bush.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not exactly excited at the prospect of bleeding out all over some dusty Baghdad sidestreet, but nations probably should take it seriously when other nations try and kill their leaders. Maybe?
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clinton already did something about it. What the hell did that accomplish? What the hell would war accomplish this time?

--------------------
life creation in progress

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing it was supposed to accomplish last time: the protection of innocent lives, and the liberation of the enslaved. That's what most of our wars are over, at least in theory.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that Dubya isn't the most objective person to make the ultimate decision here, but at the same time, the threat posed by Iraq is real. And presidential assassination is nothing to joke about, IMO...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The same thing it was supposed to accomplish last time: the protection of innocent lives, and the liberation of the enslaved. That's what most of our wars are over, at least in theory.
Sure, we'd be protecting "innocent" American lives, but innocent Iraqi lives? Well, they're just in the line of fire and some people have to make sacrifices. Just because the country sits on a oil reserve doesn't mean we need any of it. Vietnam War? Well of course they can't be innocent if they're communist. How about innocent lives of young Americans who fought a needless war that accomplished nothing? How about the war where we stole land from Texas to California from under Mexico? It belonged to us, anyway, right? We gotta protect the innocent Mexicans from their own government, after all.

Don't give me that load of shit.

quote:
nations probably should take it seriously when other nations try and kill their leaders. Maybe?
By this "logic," Iraqis are should take it seriously that we are trying to kill their leader and retaliate, right? If Bush is justified to take revenge on his father's attempted assassination, then all the sons of Iraqis that have been killed or will be killed are justified to retaliate those who killed their fathers.

It NEVER ends.

So our superior powers stop them for a while. What do YOU do when your parents ground you for doing something you don't think is wrong? You get around them and do it anyway. The key phrase here is "you don't think is wrong." If Iraqis thought they were doing something wrong, they wouldn't be doing it. The only way to stop somebody from doing is to change their beliefs about that behavior, and there's no way we can do it if we believe the exact same thing.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the Torontonians have finally caught wind of that ridiculous theory. I guess it's true when they say that they're 10 months behind the times.

Pay no attention to the man behind the typewriter, he's just frustrated because the last of the three-part Clinton foreign policy legacy finally fell apart.

1. Peace in the Middle East (Oslo) - well, that one was no surprise.
2. Peace in Northern Ireland. Ka-blooie.
3. The agreement which was supposed to keep North Korea from developing nuclear weapons.

So much for the 'treaty' crowd. Send in the tanks.

quote:
It NEVER ends.
Really? When was the last time German and Japanese terrorists attacked the US?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was the first time?
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*zing*
IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Iraqis thought they were doing something wrong, they wouldn't be doing it.
bullshit. i new that skipping my classes today was wrong, but i did it anyway. knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway shows the ability to hold 2 contradictory thoughts in one's head. that is a sign of intelligence. are you saying that the Iraqi's aren't intelligent, Tora? that they can't hold 2 contradictory thought's in their heads? i doubt that the most ardent supporter of war in Iraq would make such a statement about Iraqi intelligence.
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
2. Peace in Northern Ireland. Ka-blooie.
3. The agreement which was supposed to keep North Korea from developing nuclear weapons.

So much for the 'treaty' crowd. Send in the tanks.

Ka-blooie, eh? Really. Because we all know that ten times as many people have died in the past week in Belfast as have in the greater DC area. Terriblyy violent country, that Ireland. That stupid Clinton has caused so much death.

And, um, am I correct in assuming you are advocating an invasion of North Korea, too?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
So, the Torontonians have finally caught wind of that ridiculous theory. I guess it's true when they say that they're 10 months behind the times.

[Mad]

I'm taking that as offensive. Did you think I'd actually believe that? I don't think the writer did either, he's simply exploring a not-so-well-known fact. That's Journalism, not 10 months behind the times.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
"And do you think that those who believe that bad things benefit them know that they are bad?"

"No, that I cannot altogether believe."

"It is clear then that those who do not know things to be bad do not desire what is bad, but they desire those things that they believe to be good but that are in fact bad."

I'm going to make this degree pay off, damn it!

Oh uh, from Meno by Plato.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps